9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi folks,

Just bought a used Honda Civic LX with 134,000 KMs. Everything seems to be in good shape and a mechanic looked it over and had no concerns.

But when I get home from driving, turn off the car and remove the key...the A/C keeps running. It's the A/C or just the air from the vents or whatever (not the engine itself). The lights are on as well, on the HVAC controls. I think they eventually turn off, although I turned the fans off manually as I was paranoid the battery would drain.

I asked the seller and she says it does this, and has done so since "a software update" and Honda said it was normal. I'm not so sure lol, and wanted to see what you guys think or if you've experienced this. In all my years of driving, I've never seen the dashboard/ventilation stay active after shutting off the car and removing the key!

Any help greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
if your key is removed and in your hand, your HVAC should NOT be running in no way. it's NOT normal and no software update for a 2012 would have fixed that or adjusted that, etc. they fed you a line of BS.

At least that's my experience.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
I checked for software updates and found only one.
But it was for battery charging.

IF there was a software update done to this car.
Honda of Canada should have a record. (assuming you're in CA because you state KM not miles)
This is where us knowing your city, state and or country can be helpful.

Call customer relations with your car's VIN and inquire.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Mines never did that. But my 91 accord fan comes on after I turn it off (keys in hand). I think because it ran too hot? Gauge never go past half. I found that weird.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: one clarification - the air actually turns off when I take the key out...then I can hear something happen in the blower motor area by the glove box, and the air (and the light) comes back on! It only stays on 1-2 mins, then turns off.

·
Baned
8,521 Posts
Is it the air conditioning? Or is it a fan related to cooling things down under the hood so the oil or radiator fluid doesn't boil? I don't know what it's called, but it happens quite frequently here in Arizona that the car will be off and an auxiliary fan will continue to spin and make audible noise for a few minutes. It is not the air conditioning though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is it the air conditioning? Or is it a fan related to cooling things down under the hood so the oil or radiator fluid doesn't boil? I don't know what it's called, but it happens quite frequently here in Arizona that the car will be off and an auxiliary fan will continue to spin and make audible noise for a few minutes. It is not the air conditioning though.
Definitely the AC in my case. I can turn it off with the knob, though the light stays on a bit longer even if I do that.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
my 92 accord would run a fan after the car was off (under the hood fan) if it was hot. it'd run for maybe a minute. i don't think my '01 accord did that nor did my '03 odyssey.

·
Registered
15 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts