9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 222 Posts

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow guys this was crazy, I don't even know how it happened.

I was driving to class, on this highway. So at the point where I was at the road becomes a fork, the left leads to New Brunswick where Rutgers is, and the right leads to another highway. So I was in the left lane going about 55, in 5th gear just cruising. So I came up to the fork part, which is basically a big smooth curvature of the road heading to the left. I downshifted into 4th and was going fine. Then OUT OF NOWHERE the dude in front of me SLAMMED his brake. Wow that was scary as hell. I wasn't even close behind him but he slammed it so hard that if I didn't slam mine I would have plowed right into his back. There was a huge Ford pick up behind me and I thought he was going to slam into me too. It's a nice dry day here, perfect for driving, if it wasn't for that my car would have been literally smashed into his car, my tired skid and everything.

Damn. I just parked on the parking deck but wow that was a close call.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
980 Posts
Were you on Route 18 heading north at that blind curve, right goes to US1? Not too far from the Rutgers campus.

And I know sometimes traffic comes to a sudden stop due to that light after the corner, so people get on the brakes way quick.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Damn, I hate those type of situations, any idea why that 1st guy braked so hard??? The worst is looking in the rearview and waiting/wondering if the guy behind is going to nail you...sometimes they are not paying attention, tailgating or don't maintain their brakes...glad it was only a close call :)

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Were you on Route 18 heading north at that blind curve, right goes to US1? Not too far from the Rutgers campus.

And I know sometimes traffic comes to a sudden stop due to that light after the corner, so people get on the brakes way quick.
Yep same curve, but there was no traffic just a random slamming of the brake. Scary to say the least!

And no, no idea why he did that, it was so random. I drive on this road every day for years now and I've gotten used to how it is but this was insane. I was amazed the dude behind me stopped his aircraft carrier in time!!

@Dre: it's an R18, I have it in MT, and nonetheless a totaled car is never a good thing lol

·
Registered
709 Posts
That's scary. That similar situation happened to me too. Slammed on the brake firmly, didn't let go. It's like those Spiderman movies that you see everything in slow motion. Hoping the car in the rear doesn't hit you and at the same time hoping you don't hit the car in front of you...checking the side mirrors and rear view mirror in a split of a second. You can almost feel the caliper grinding the rotor and tire grip and traction.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's scary. That similar situation happened to me too. Slammed on the brake firmly, didn't let go. It's like those Spiderman movies that you see everything in slow motion. Hoping the car in the rear doesn't hit you and at the same time hoping you don't hit the car in front of you...checking the side mirrors and rear view mirror in a split of a second. You can almost feel the caliper grinding the rotor and tire grip and traction.

Haha yea man you definitely do! I could smell the burnt rubber from my tires..! That especially pissed me off.. Some drivers just aren't aware of their surroundings and drive as though they're the only ones on the road. I can't even count how many times I've been driving in my lane and other cars just start merging into my lane without even checking to see if there was a car there, and then I have to swerve away or beep my pathetic horn and hope they hear it...

·
Bluestar's winch!!
8,762 Posts
I know that area. I let my girlfriend drive through there. She knows the routes having gone to school there. TBH, NJ drivers scare the crap out of me (she doesn't need to know that). I'll go down 287 but once in that 18-1 cut there - on way to 295 - not fun. Slow traffic and peeps be crAzy. Every time we come out that switch and half-tunnel thingy she points to the Cook/Douglas and tells me both her sisters went there but she was up at Busch campus. EVERY TIME.

I had the same sort of thing too happen to me. Running down the on ramp to the freeway at the merge point, guy in front of me slams his brake, tires screeching at 60 mph for no apparent reason. I had enough space but I got caught off guard and way too close behind him hard on the brakes. The Tahoe behind me went flying past the two of us. Apparently he didn't have the space or wasn't paying as much attention.

Things do seem to slow down and you're very aware of your surroundings for that moment. Glad you and your car are okay. Nothing better than a defensive driver.

·
May 2012 K24Z7 ROTM Winner
405 Posts
We're you tailgating the guy in front? Sounds like he was either pissed about tailgating or he was just looking to get a new car to rear end him. Either way good job avoiding it.

Trust me it's no fun looking at your totaled 9th gen Si sitting on the side of the road...been there!

·
Registered
980 Posts
Yep same curve, but there was no traffic just a random slamming of the brake. Scary to say the least!
People would have speed going into that curve in the mornings, only with traffic, and then slam on their brakes at the last moment when they realized there's stopped traffic ahead. Might have been some random thought in the brain, gee, maybe stopped traffic ahead so I better get on the brakes NOW... but yeah that curve is just trouble waiting to happen.

Did you see the news of the tractor trailer that ran a red light in Old Bridge on Wed morning? Ran into an SUV that was on 18 coming from Ferry Road, killed the SUV driver.

·
Pickle Hammer Power
4,294,967,287 Posts

probably a honda hater.... :unsure:

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Glad nothing happened to the rr coupe
How about the owner. :unsure: hahaha

I'm just glad all turned out alright. Careful driving out there you guys, lots of bad drivers and Honda Hates like bluestar mentioned!

Coincidentally on the way home, a woman was attempting to come onto the highway from a store parking lot exit by creeping completely into the lane at 5MPH...... NJ drivers suck for the most part.. it's the unfortunate truth

If any of you guys visit the area, make sure your insurance is in check!

·
Registered
57 Posts
On-ramps with blind curves are what get me every time. You'll be cruising along and you have very little time to react when you find that the traffic is backed up and have to stop; then you hope that the next guy to come along behind you isn't just a little slower to react than you were.

When I get into the situation on my motorcycle where there's a good chance the car behind me won't stop in time, I aim the front wheel at the gap to one side of the car in front, leave it in gear and keep the engine speed a little raised until the car behind me comes to a safe top. That way if he looks like he's not going to, I can just pop off the clutch and get into the gap and let him hit the car instead of me. Unfortunately Civics don't fit into those spaces.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When I get into the situation on my motorcycle where there's a good chance the car behind me won't stop in time, I aim the front wheel at the gap to one side of the car in front, leave it in gear and keep the engine speed a little raised until the car behind me comes to a safe top. That way if he looks like he's not going to, I can just pop off the clutch and get into the gap and let him hit the car instead of me. Unfortunately Civics don't fit into those spaces.
Yea, unfortunately the only space they fit in those situations is smashed in between two cars. :unsure:

·
Registered
108 Posts
I had some lady swirve into my lane right next to me almost hitting my car. If I hadn't hit the brakes, she'd have hit me. Turns out she was changing into my lane, into my car. After I honked, she did a gesture as if I had just cut ​her off.

·
Bluestar's winch!!
8,762 Posts
I had some lady swirve into my lane right next to me almost hitting my car. If I hadn't hit the brakes, she'd have hit me. Turns out she was changing into my lane, into my car. After I honked, she did a gesture as if I had just cut ​her off.
Too many bad drivers. Holy cow.

9th Civic must absorb light such that people can't see it. I bet secret cloaking/stealth technology!!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Not a good sight

driving back home from the base today in my LX, looked in my rear-view and noticed a Red RSX flying up to my rear end. In my head, i'm thinking "typical guy wanting to race every Honda/Acura he sees". i'm already cutting through traffic close as it is already. now i have an idiot riding my ass trying to race. we get to a point where i downshift to D3 (automatic), let the car slow down, and block him in with traffic (dick move). he breaks right and cuts off 3 other drivers to the right and then decides to recklessly jump back to the original to get in front of me..... This is where it gets really bad. i could hear him as he downshifted to do this idiotic move. i believe he downshifted to 3rd (we are doing 70 on i95) because his exhaust note went through the roof. now fellow members, think what happens when your FWD car jumps to high RPMs really fast and you decide to turn the steering sharply to the left while its happening (major over-steer). so he actually does it, he cuts back over 3 lanes and gets in front of me after i slam on the brakes.... for 1/10 of a second he's in front of me, then he's gone and all i see in my side-view are 2 cars spinning out in the express lane as other cars are barreling towards them. Red RSX and White SC300. all of this happened in less than 30 seconds from when i blocked him in. As a coastie, i really wanted to stop and go attempt to see if they were safe, but i was so shocked that my body just drove me to my destination. I feel really guilty because i feel that i had a hand in causing this accident. And i'm now writing this to tell you guys to: control your egos and crap, there are no needs to endanger the lives of others because you feel like your car is the bees knees. i drove away safe, and i hope the same for the rsx and sc driver.

SHADOW

1 - 20 of 222 Posts