9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey so I was wondering, if I installed an amp into my stock Ex-L system, will that amp be able to bring out more bass in my speakers? Or are my speakers most likely topped out already? I believe I read somewhere that my speakers were 160-watt speakers, but I honestly have no clue. Thanks.

·
Registered
100 Posts
You probably have the 160 SYSTEM, meaning the factory setup is already amplified with a Honda amplifier. Also, speakers don't give you bass, they give you mids and highs. More bass comes with the addition of a subwoofer. If you are thinking about amping the speakers, you'll need to change them to aftermarket, then bypass the factory amplifier. Factory speakers aren't going to be able to handle the output of an aftermarket amplifier.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So would I need a new amp to give more power to aftermarket speakers? Or should the factory amplifier have enough power. I love the mids and highs of my system but the range on the lows just aren't quite there. So I was wondering if an amp would do the job. I would get a sub but I can't really spare the space. What kind of aftermarket speakers should I look for if I wanted more range with the lows? I believe they're 6.5 inch speakers.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
So would I need a new amp to give more power to aftermarket speakers? Or should the factory amplifier have enough power. I love the mids and highs of my system but the range on the lows just aren't quite there. So I was wondering if an amp would do the job. I would get a sub but I can't really spare the space. What kind of aftermarket speakers should I look for if I wanted more range with the lows? I believe they're 6.5 inch speakers.
I have the Si. I kept the stock in the front and switched out the rear with Kicker DS-65's I compared 4 sets of speakers in my car both in the front and in the back. My experimentations let me with stock in the front, kicker in the back. I kept the stock amplifier, but since I have the Si, I get 360watts total power or about 180rms. You are probably about 90rms. I replaced the stock subwoofer with a JL ZR800. It's the only one that will fit. Sounds pretty darn good for an 8, but keep in mind its not a 12". I power it with a Kicker 400w @ 2ohm or 200w @ 4ohm. I am using the 4 ohm setup. Read my posts you will see more! :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
I also have the Si that sounds like a pretty sweet setup, what did the sub/amp run you for? And how much of a difference do you notice? The stock sound system is pretty impressive, but there is still lots of room for improvement, just hard with the minimal space..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts