9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I just joined the forum as I recently bought a new 2012 Civic LX. It's my first Honda and first new car so hopefully it turns out to be a good choice! I've got two android devices I want to use with the car and I've been trying to find the best way to do this without tearing the new car all up. I'm posting what I'm trying if anyone is interested and will follow up with pics once its all done. My plan is to use them for navigation, audio (AUX port), and live ODB2 performance monitoring and logging.

First, I've added a Kiwi Bluetooth ODB2 device and have purchased the Torque app from the android market for 5 bucks. I already tested it out and it seems to work fine but I'll need to do a lot of customizing of all my dials and readouts.

Device 1 is a Galaxy Nexus android phone. I was thinking it would be nice if I could just stick it in front of the iMid since its located in a easy to glance at spot. I have not been able to find a proper car dock for this phone but its new so hopefully soon. What I ended up ordering was this:
Phone cradle
Dash mount

Device 2 is a Motorola Xoom android tablet. Using the phone only is more practical but the tablet is too sexy not to mount in the car. Ideally i'd mount it over top of the factory stereo but did not find an easy way to do that. I ordered:
Tablet cradle
Seat mount

I should be able to use the phone on the seat mount for the Xoom as well if that works better. Any comments or suggestions for a better setup are appreciated!

·
Registered
405 Posts
looking forward to the pictures, I just got an Asus Transformer Prime tablet for christmas, would love to have a nice way to mount it in my car for longer trips, I don't have 4G so navigation is out, but videos and music aren't.

·
Registered
976 Posts
looking forward to the pictures, I just got an Asus Transformer Prime tablet for christmas, would love to have a nice way to mount it in my car for longer trips, I don't have 4G so navigation is out, but videos and music aren't.
You should tether it with your phone to use wifi on the tablet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, the install is halfway complete. It turns out the dash adhesive part isn't compatible with the universal phone mount without another component. I've been using the phone and tablet on the same seat mounted bar. Using android for stereo and nav through the AUX port is great since android will mute the audio to give GPS directions or hands free calls. Its very easy to put the phone in the cradle and the power and audio cables are easy to plug in. Here are pics of what I have so far.
IMG_20120109_213640.jpg IMG_20120109_213753.jpg IMG_20120109_213808.jpg IMG_20120109_213921.jpg IMG_20120109_213932.jpg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts