9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there !

Im creating this thread because this sound is starting to get on my nerves for real...

When im backing up and stopping there is a "toc" sound coming from the front most of the time.

Could it be the shift linkage ?

I took a video of it, im glad that the noise happened when I recorded :

<strong>

You can hear the noise @ 8-9 sec.

There is another one at the end as well but I think its my rear right caliper who start to be weak.. ?

Anyone could confirm this please ?

Thanks,

Dave_Si.

·
Registered
989 Posts
never heard it before myself honestly.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
oh damn.. !

Will wait to see if someone could have a clue about it, its not affecting my driving but I just hate the sound it makes :(

EDIT : the last noise in the video seems to be normal

Here is a answer from Honda FAQ, apparently its normal ?:

Why do my brakes make a single "click" noise when I back out of a parking place and once again when I drive forward?
A clearance between the brake caliper brackets and the ends of the brake pads allows for heat expansion and avoids corrosion between the caliper bracket and the brake pads. That clearance can cause the pads to hit the caliper brackets when you first apply the brakes in a new directions of travel. When you back up and apply the brakes and then drive forward and apply the brakes, the single "click" noise you hear is a normal characteristic of the brake system.

So you are telling me your car dont do that as well MeeSh ?

·
Registered
2,973 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yeah I'm aware of this haha ! I was referring to the knock noise right after that !

But like i wrote in the post higher, that could be the brake noise which is normal maybe im trippin for nothing haha :\

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
When you hear the noise have you just applied the brakes, after changing direction of travel?

If you drive forward say 20 feet and come to a complete stop. Then shift to reverse, then drive 20 feet in reverse, then apply the brakes. You will hear a knock or toc sound from one or all calipers.
Brake pads will shift from front to rear and visa versa when first applied after stopping in the other direction.
Yes that noise is normal, to an extent.

If you are concerned that your car is making too much noise.
Compare to another like car or have a trusted mechanic evaluate the noise.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes in the clip I'm parked behind a car and backing up to take off so probably its the pads like you said. Now that I know Honda FAQ had the answer for this I'm less concerned with this noise :p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts