9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There's a few superb DIY's here and thought I'd share mine that I recently made. It's very easy to do and everything just fits. And it will only cost around $50-60. I'll probably do a CAI and get Flashpro (again) soon. I just wanted to hear that sound of induction for now :p

What you need:
1.) 3" pipe with a MAF housing (I bought the Spectre Performance 9405 3" Aluminum Mass Air Flow Sensor Kit).
2.) A couple of clamps (Spectre Performance 8704 Worm Gear Clamp).
3.) A cone filter that fits 3" pipes...duhhh. (I got the Spectre Performance 9132 Red Cone Air Filter but it's up to you which color you want).
4.) A 3"(76mm) coupler (I prefer silicone couplers so I got the Emotion brand from eBay with 4-5mm thickness).

Notes: The 3" pipe from Spectre is actually 2.8", which is why I got the coupler to make it fit with the stock hose. If you can find an actual 3" pipe with a MAF housing, then by all means buy that one instead. This is what it looks like.
11157334_10153752921413776_800980909_o.jpg 11122357_10153752923808776_877424348_o.jpg 11127676_10153752922838776_1127103779_o.jpg

·
Registered
271 Posts
Isnt it the same as just doing a K&N drop in filter?

·
Registered
754 Posts
No.
A drop in filter will still use the stock air box and still use the same air resonator before the air box.
The resonator pulls colder air from under the engine bay and uses a chamber to quiet down the acoustics of the stock intake.
Ultimately the drop in filter will remain cleaner for much longer and will remain quieter.

The sri intake will be much louder, and in theory, increase air flow. It will also pull warmer air but that frankly doesnt matter as engine temps are decreased exponentially once the car starts moving.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Isnt it the same as just doing a K&N drop in filter?
Im surprised you asked that question cause of your sig. If anything, a CAI is closer to a stock box with a drop-in filter cause of where they get air from (what usdmjon said).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hmmm...heat soak does play a major role in robbing power. The factory system was well designed that even the PRL CAI system only pulls an average of 4-6 HP more than factory. Yes you get more noise but not power. When I got my baseline dyno from Vit my car had HPS intake tube (prettier than stock tube),K&N drop in (came with car), and Invidia Q300. I still pulled the average power of a bone stock 2012 Si. But if it accomplished what you were aiming for then you succeeded. Oh yeah, the biggest difference I felt on the butt dyno was when I removed the resonator when I installed my HPS tube. It really opened up the restrictive feel of the intake. Louder doesn't equal more air flow. Just like hearing cars screaming but not going anywhere fast. PRL CAI is 3.5" intake tube which really opens up the system for potentially more power especially depending on if you're going NA or Super Charged. The only similarity in the factory with K&N drop in and the CAI is that they pull air from a common location. W3RO doesn't have just any CAI system. He has THE system.

·
Registered
234 Posts
No.
A drop in filter will still use the stock air box and still use the same air resonator before the air box.
The resonator pulls colder air from under the engine bay and uses a chamber to quiet down the acoustics of the stock intake.
Ultimately the drop in filter will remain cleaner for much longer and will remain quieter.

The sri intake will be much louder, and in theory, increase air flow. It will also pull warmer air but that frankly doesnt matter as engine temps are decreased exponentially once the car starts moving.
Actually the OE intake draws in air from under the hood under a plastic cover next to the battery, I thought it took it in from the fender well but I was wrong.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts