9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Up here in MI, it's getting cold outside...

Unfortunately I do not have a garage nor a carport. Yesterday, my car had the first frost of the year that I had to clean off the windows with a scraper :(
I thought I had heard that use of some sort of window product could prevent or at least deter frost buildup on the car. Is there such a thing?

I was thinking that Rain-X or Stoner's Invisible Glass + Rain Repellant might at least help, due to having some sort of anti-condensation coating. Wouldn't that coating also lower the amount of moisture that "sticks" to the windows, thus lowering frost buildup?

Any* suggestions would be welcome :)

Thanks,
-The Doctor

*There is a garage at my place, but the 1 spot in it is used by my roommate. But as they say, "money talks"; if it's better to be garaged, what would you think is an appropriate offer ($/mo.) for him and I to trade places?

·
Car Care Ambassador
1,357 Posts
Nothing like that is going to help ... They do sell covers that go over the windshield and they are either magnetic or are held on by the doors .. they work but you still have to scrape the sides.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nothing like that is going to help ... They do sell covers that go over the windshield and they are either magnetic or are held on by the doors .. they work but you still have to scrape the sides.
That's a shame. I might look into that windshield cover thing, though. One less surface to scrape off is a win in my book.

Thanks,
-The Doctor

·
I Like Grits
9,655 Posts
on my old crv, i wrapped a washcloth on the side mirrors, held on by a strap of velcro...cheap fix to be able to take it off easy and be frost/ice free.
also had a huge beach towel id lay across the windshield...

·
I Drive Too Much
4,526 Posts
The towel on the windshield trick is not a good idea here in Michigan. I know of no product that can be applied to the windshield and be effective at all.

·
I Drive Too Much
4,526 Posts
Gets wet and sticks to the windshield when it refreezes. Not all the time but random and frequent enough to spoil your morning routine if you have to get on the road.

·
I Drive Too Much
4,526 Posts
I saw some dude fighting with his protective towel one morning after about a quarter inch of freezing rain. He had a great time with it. Afterwards there was not much left of the towel though.

·
Registered
227 Posts
In Michigan too. Don't know of any product that prevents build up but, as I'm sure you know, there are deicer products that help in the morning when your car is warming up.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App

·
Registered
227 Posts
(I.e. you spray it on and it helps melt enough of the ice to scrape it off easier and it goes into where the window meets the weather stripping so you can roll your window down)

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thanks all for the replies.
on my old crv, i wrapped a washcloth on the side mirrors, held on by a strap of velcro...cheap fix to be able to take it off easy and be frost/ice free.
9GenSi, any thoughts on how this would work for side mirrors in MI?
I had frost on those the other day and wasn't sure if they're scraper-safe. So I essentially drove without side mirrors, which is never a good thing. (On that note, I see many people who don't even bother to get the frost off their rear window - horrid thing to do...)

I'll be applying the Stoner's product I mentioned, this weekend. I'll post updates to see if I really notice any difference, but given the comments, I don't expect to. This also isn't a very "controlled" experiment - maybe I should apply only to half the windshield or something... hmm...

I am aware of the de-icer products. Never used them, but I was hoping more for a protectant than a daily-use product.

I've recently been starting my car and letting it warm up for ~2 minutes before driving. This + running the defogger fan at full blast, hottest setting, has made cleaning off the windshield slightly easier...
(I've been doing this as prompted by my uncle, who says it's much healthier for an engine to warm up (idling) before more strenuous use.)

-The Doctor

·
I Drive Too Much
4,526 Posts
I wish I could tell you that I knew how it would work. I have never seen anyone try it but it should work better than the windshield since the towel would not be in direct contact with the glass of the mirror. Worst case I guess would be having the towel freeze to the mirror housing and difficult to remove in order to drive.

It is always a good idea to warm up your car before getting under way. I like to see the blue light go off while in third gear on the first swing thru the gears after leaving the driveway which takes a little practice. This takes between 2 and 4 minutes usually.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Reactions: Digger

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I wish I could tell you that I knew how it would work. I have never seen anyone try it but it should work better than the windshield since the towel would not be in direct contact with the glass of the mirror. Worst case I guess would be having the towel freeze to the mirror housing and difficult to remove in order to drive.
It wouldn't hurt to try. I'm always adverse to scrapping off these mirrors. For some reason, I just think the mirrors don't take it as well as other surfaces.

It is always a good idea to warm up your car before getting under way. I like to see the blue light go off while in third gear on the first swing thru the gears after leaving the driveway which takes a little practice. This takes between 2 and 4 minutes usually.
Is your car garaged? Mine isn't. I let it warm up for 6 minutes before driving a few days ago, and the blue light didn't go off even when I first hit 6th gear. Maybe it was especially cold that day or something.
In general, I haven't had luck with the 2-4 minute time frame unless the car had been driven somewhat recently.

-The Doctor

Reactions: Digger

·
I Drive Too Much
4,526 Posts
Mine is not kept in a garage. Usually if I wait 2-4 mins then slowly work down my long driveway and shift gently up to third my blue light will turn off. In any case keep your rpms under about 4000 the whole time before the blue light shuts off and be pretty gentle for the next few miles at least before gettin all spirited. I am sure the time varies due to many factors. I notice it takes a couple more minutes if it is really cold like 5 degrees F.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Mine is not kept in a garage. Usually if I wait 2-4 mins then slowly work down my long driveway and shift gently up to third my blue light will turn off. In any case keep your rpms under about 4000 the whole time before the blue light shuts off and be pretty gentle for the next few miles at least before gettin all spirited. I am sure the time varies due to many factors. I notice it takes a couple more minutes if it is really cold like 5 degrees F.
This is really good advice since the whole warming a car up doesn't really do much for modern fuel injected cars; that's more of a holdover from carburetor days. Nevertheless, taking it easy for the first couple of minutes can't hurt.

http://www.cartalk.com/content/do-cars-need-warm-cold-winter-mornings

I love these guys and they know their stuff when it comes to cars.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
I Drive Too Much
4,526 Posts
I won't disagree with most of what the car talk guys advise. But, I will stick with my routine of 2-4 minutes warm up. It has worked well for me with every Si I have bought new and driven for a long time.

'89 CRX Si 290,000+ miles
'00 Si 240,000 miles and still going

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Usually if I wait 2-4 mins then slowly work down my long driveway and shift gently up to third my blue light will turn off. In any case keep your rpms under about 4000 the whole time before the blue light shuts off and be pretty gentle for the next few miles at least before gettin all spirited. I am sure the time varies due to many factors. I notice it takes a couple more minutes if it is really cold like 5 degrees F.
I luckily have such a short commute to work that it's completely city driving, ~4 miles. While driving conservatively, I don't think I go above 3500 even, but I'll keep a watch tomorrow to see what my driving habits are. Outside of my commute, I will definitely keep the 4k guideline in mind.

This is really good advice since the whole warming a car up doesn't really do much for modern fuel injected cars; that's more of a holdover from carburetor days. Nevertheless, taking it easy for the first couple of minutes can't hurt.

Do cars need to warm up, on cold winter mornings? | Car Talk

I love these guys and they know their stuff when it comes to cars.
Thanks a ton for the reference.
I'm seeing my uncle over Thanksgiving, so I'll ask his thoughts on it. He's been working with engines as a hobby since before I was born, originally on car engines, but now on airplane engines. So when he told me it's good for the engine to warm up, I took his advice as backed by experience, especially when he highlighted that "you just don't fly a plane if the engine hasn't warmed up - in contrast to cars, there's almost nothing you can do if it fails in flight". So if it's good for airplanes, it's good for cars, right? Haha, I'll just check to see what he says.

'89 CRX Si 290,000+ miles
'00 Si 240,000 miles and still going
Both of these numbers are very impressive.

If you don't mind finding the records / transcribing, could you perhaps post (in another thread) all the things you did to keep them running top-notch. I would love to hold onto my car for that long.

Thanks!
-The Doctor

P.s. I'm definitely digging that many recent posts in this thread were by MI members :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts