9th Gen Civic Forum banner

101 - 108 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
I'm not aware of a 9th gen with over 200k miles. I'm one of the guys with the most miles on mine with only a little less then 153k on the clock. Only parts that broke are a rear caliper, a pcv valve and 2 batteries (those are weak but my new AGM one is promising!)... Very reliable for a car that sees track duty every now and then and live in the cold canadian winters....

Marko!

P.S. My Si is fuel efficient too... I just did 40 and 48 mpg to and from Lac Mégantic to Québec city. 60mph except in villages and deer hasardous zones...

P.S.S. I just saw the pic of the 200 000miles 2012 R18... Respect!!

Attachments

·
Question Authority
6,424 Posts
40-48mpg?? How's that possible? That's nearly doubling the rated mileage.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
He did it by going 60 mph I strongly suspect. I regularly get 40-43 doing 70-75 on hilly interstates. I just don't put my foot in it and the ECON button does work if you don't over-ride it like most people do then complain about it not working. Using mid-grade gas helps a lot. 87 octane gas today seems to not be the same "quality" or have the same run-ability as it used to have. Something has changed with it. ;)

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
He did it by going 60 mph I strongly suspect. I regularly get 40-43 doing 70-75 on hilly interstates. I just don't put my foot in it and the ECON button does work if you don't over-ride it like most people do then complain about it not working. Using mid-grade gas helps a lot. 87 octane gas today seems to not be the same "quality" or have the same run-ability as it used to have. Something has changed with it. ;)
Just seems like very high numbers for an Si.

·
Registered
169 Posts
When I was 22 I owned a del sol si that I bought from my uncle. It had 280k miles on it original motor and tranny. I put another 145k on it and only thing I ever had to replace was the clutch and a water pump but the clutch was starting to go out when I bought it. My littlest brother still drives it today. Hes got somewhere close to 600k now.

·
Registered
890 Posts
60mph hwy and 50 in the 60 miles long deer trap where my brother totaled his car last tuesday... On Michelins Pilot Super Sport that aren't there for their comfort or fuel efficiency... Maybe i could have done better on some ECO type tires, a clean air filter, fresh oil and an alignement. Anyway, it really is a lovable car.

Marko!

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
40-48mpg?? How's that possible? That's nearly doubling the rated mileage.

Yes its real. Dohctor should explain that he uses ethanol free premium and has a homemade catch can that helps get better mpg by catching oil before it burnt reducing knock along with better trans fluid to reduce friction. This is what happen when you run in a knock free environment. I filled Saturday and ran in a urban city environment and averaged 53 mpg for 20 miles with my stock 15 Civic with 25000 miles. My 12 Civic would have gotten 60 mpg under the same conditions. Experiment with gas brands using premium or at least mid grade with the R18.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Yes its real. Dohctor should explain that he uses ethanol free premium and has a homemade catch can that helps get better mpg by catching oil before it burnt reducing knock along with better trans fluid to reduce friction. This is what happen when you run in a knock free environment. I filled Saturday and ran in a urban city environment and averaged 53 mpg for 20 miles with my stock 15 Civic with 25000 miles. My 12 Civic would have gotten 60 mpg under the same conditions. Experiment with gas brands using premium or at least mid grade with the R18.
The Ethanol free gas does not apply to me anymore. There is a 6 cents difference between Shell ethanol free premium and Petro Canada 91 with Ethanol. There really is a difference between the 2 but not large enough to justify paying a 6 cents difference... plus my Petro Points card gives me cards that make me save 10 cents per liter for 200 liters so Petro-Canada Ethanol premium it is for me now.

Marko!

101 - 108 of 108 Posts