9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rubber garnish that comes in cowl top assy. (so as left front and right front parts) is broken in several pieces. Checking several online parts catalogues, those pieces of plastic will cost me around 250 dollars plus shipping...
If some of you know what to do, please help!!
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
The area under that seal is not dry.
That is the cracked seal in the photo is still doing it's job, just to a lesser degree.
Far as the ugly goes, yes, yes it is.
I would probably slice it off even with the hard plastic cowl cover panel. Possibly leave it like that or lay a thin bead of black RTV. Like caulking a tub or a sink.

Or, just don't look at it...

Also, let us know where in the world you are located...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The area under that seal is not dry.
That is the cracked seal in the photo is still doing it's job, just to a lesser degree.
Far as the ugly goes, yes, yes it is.
I would probably slice it off even with the hard plastic cowl cover panel. Possibly leave it like that or lay a thin bead of black RTV. Like caulking a tub or a sink.

Or, just don't look at it...

Also, let us know where in the world you are located...
Hi Teeps, I'm located in the goddam Argentina. As you stated, it looks awful. I was thinking on that -cutting the rubber along and applying a coat of black RTV to avoid water intrusion- or maybe some of you can have much better ideas (replacing the original rubber with another one, but from where I can buy it?).
Thank you very much for your answer!

·
Registered
352 Posts
I've replaced both of those parts, and when putting them back on, they never got flush with the windshield. Is there an sealant or some sort that needs to be used? I didn't see anything that suggests Honda used any seals from the factory.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've replaced both of those parts, and when putting them back on, they never got flush with the windshield. Is there an sealant or some sort that needs to be used? I didn't see anything that suggests Honda used any seals from the factory.
As far as I see, I didn't find any kind of glue/sealant in my case. Rubber is just seating against windshield.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
mine looks somewhat like that...but, i believe it's due to scraping ice/snow over the years. i'm guessing Argentina doesn't have the ice/snow that we get in the KC area. seems weird that it's affected that way no matter where one lives.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mine looks somewhat like that...but, i believe it's due to scraping ice/snow over the years. i'm guessing Argentina doesn't have the ice/snow that we get in the KC area. seems weird that it's affected that way no matter where one lives.
More specifically, I live in Buenos Aires area, where never sonws...must be caused by sunlight. I also see that in any case, even if Civic is made in the US or in Brazil (as mine), rubber has no good quality. The most stupid thing is that you have to pay too much for the three parts, just beacause the rubber seal is embedded into the plastic and not sold alone.????
Let's see if somebody comes up with the best solution, otherwise I'll be cutting out that rubber...

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,388 Posts
lay a thin bead of black RTV. Like caulking a tub or a sink.
I would try this first, right over the offending moulding.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gentlemen, I think I'm going to cut that horrible rubber and apply some black sealant, then I´ll let you know how it finished. Happy New Year, by the way!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts