9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm likely going to be upgrading to a 2012 Civic Sedan EX w/ Nav and was wondering what, if any, OEM accessories are recommended. Specifically, I was considering the mud guards and would like feedback on the door edge guards. Thanks.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Ours came with the mud guards, the edge guards, and wheel locks.
The mud guards are good to have IMO. Some people think they dont look good, but they do protect your car more.
The edge guards are good to have if you are worried about possibly banging your door such as in a garage or in a parking lot. The car does look a lot cleaner without them though. You can get ones that match the color of your car to mask them, but the car still looks cleaner without them. To me the edge guards are really a personal preference.

If you live in a higher crime area then the wheel locks are a good idea. If not then I wouldnt even worry about them.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
mud guards = useless and ugly (well useless depnding on where you live)
Door guard = ugly and if your cautious then its not needed
wheel lock = never a bad investment, unless you live here where they just steal the whole car :)

Honestly, i park far away from other cars even if it means a little walk for me, i will not hesitate to take up two parking spaces and im careful about the cars i do park next to when i must. SO just be careful where you can and if you get a ding or two, so what, its just a car :)

·
2014 January FB2/FB6 ROTM
1,937 Posts
....Honestly, i park far away from other cars even if it means a little walk for me, i will not hesitate to take up two parking spaces and im careful about the cars i do park next to when i must. SO just be careful where you can and if you get a ding or two, so what, its just a car :)
speak of the devil.... today, i parked at target next to this family, and as i was walking out and loading some stuff i got to wash my civic, this little girl opens her door really wide and hit my car door -_- luckily there is no visible scratches or dents but i was kinda pissed... learn from mistakess and will take your advice talon ;)

·
1,937 Posts
Oh, and i have mud guards and door edge guards and wheel locks as well. mud guards in my opinion doesnt really look like it helps alot in keeping it protected or cleaner really and door edge is good in my opinion cuz you cant always trust the ppl that parks next to you to often.... wheel locks is good idea if you plan to get aftermarket wheels that you paid a good deal for.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
speak of the devil.... today, i parked at target next to this family, and as i was walking out and loading some stuff i got to wash my civic, this little girl opens her door really wide and hit my car door -_- luckily there is no visible scratches or dents but i was kinda pissed... learn from mistakess and will take your advice talon ;)
lol sorry but thats even worse when you watch it happen right in front of you! glad to hear there's no damage though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses. I'd say there is a pretty good chance I'll go with the mud guards. I am really unsure as to the Door guards though. Unless there is an overwhelming positive feedback for them I'll probably skip them.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Where I live it doesnt matter where you park. People will find you.
I parked way out in a parking lot when we first got the car. There wasnt a single car in sight anywhere near me. When I was done shopping and came out there was a car on each side of me yet the rest of the parking lot around me was still empty.

What I try to do as much as I can is park next to an island or something so there can only be one car on either side of me.

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
I just bought mudguards from CHH. They will help in my area especially with road salt and sand come winter. Just ordered sullied to try and DIY paint them body color, since I agree they are somewhat ugly...

Anything you listed I would try to get the dealer to throw in the deal rather than pay for. If you want door edge protection you could also go 3rd party with that clear-bra stuff.

I would recommend the trunk tray and net or hooks depending on what you put in your trunk. My fiancée loves the beach so it's worked well for wet sandy items not dirtying the trunk so I don't have to clean it out as much.
Would also recommend all-weather floor mats. Many are holding out for weathertech which should be out soon. I wanted day1 protection so got OEM and overall happy with them. I think they will be a little less than weathertech, but likely will not trap as much snow, salt, etc.. So I might upgrade once winter comes if I'm not happy with them.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
1,937 Posts
I just bought mudguards from CHH. They will help in my area especially with road salt and sand come winter. Just ordered sullied to try and DIY paint them body color, since I agree they are somewhat ugly...

Anything you listed I would try to get the dealer to throw in the deal rather than pay for. If you want door edge protection you could also go 3rd party with that clear-bra stuff.

I would recommend the trunk tray and net or hooks depending on what you put in your trunk. My fiancée loves the beach so it's worked well for wet sandy items not dirtying the trunk so I don't have to clean it out as much.
Would also recommend all-weather floor mats. Many are holding out for weathertech which should be out soon. I wanted day1 protection so got OEM and overall happy with them. I think they will be a little less than weathertech, but likely will not trap as much snow, salt, etc.. So I might upgrade once winter comes if I'm not happy with them.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
is the all-season mats from honda good and works well?? im comptemplating whether to buy it from CHH for 75 or so or just buy some really good aftermarket ones. is there any aftermarket brand you suggest???

·
Registered
70 Posts
Where I live it doesnt matter where you park. People will find you.
I parked way out in a parking lot when we first got the car. There wasnt a single car in sight anywhere near me. When I was done shopping and came out there was a car on each side of me yet the rest of the parking lot around me was still empty.

What I try to do as much as I can is park next to an island or something so there can only be one car on either side of me.
You stole those words right out of me... sometimes I feel like leaving a sticky note asking why they have to park next to me when its empty elsewhere?! ugh

·
Registered
22 Posts
mud guards = useless and ugly (well useless depnding on where you live)
Door guard = ugly and if your cautious then its not needed
wheel lock = never a bad investment, unless you live here where they just steal the whole car :)

Honestly, i park far away from other cars even if it means a little walk for me, i will not hesitate to take up two parking spaces and im careful about the cars i do park next to when i must. SO just be careful where you can and if you get a ding or two, so what, its just a car :)
^^ That is a D!CK move.. i dont care what car you drive, you shouldn't do that.. park far away if you have to, but be courteous to other drivers!

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
is the all-season mats from honda good and works well?? im contemplating whether to buy it from CHH for 75 or so or just buy some really good aftermarket ones. is there any aftermarket brand you suggest???
OEM - They are fine so far...the real test will be when winter comes, how much snow/slush will they catch? The passenger and rear mats seem to slide a little when people get in/out due to shifting weight to their feet to get in/out.The driver mat locks in place so no worries. Overall the fit is very good and they look nice. The carpeted mats are garbage that come standard, so i wanted to replace right away. If they don't work as well as i want in winter conditions i may upgrade to Aftermarket.

Aftermarket - I have never used them - but many others swear by WeatherTech. I think they are more like a tray insert, so will likely be deeper, and they are custom fit for each vehicle. They are not out yet for the 2012 civic, but people are guessing around 100 bucks.

I cant say to buy one or the other - but CHH has said they will likely carry the WeatherTech when they come out, so if thats the case i would wait to hear reviews and decide then. As i said, i didnt want to wait so i went and got the Honda ones right away, and paid more than 75 (CHH Dropped price after!)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thoughts on Splash Guards?

I'm getting a 2012 Silver EX Sedan and am debating getting the splash guards. What is everyone's thoughts on them? I have read some posts indicating they may damage the paint - is there any concern with that? Thanks.

·
Registered
980 Posts
You probably don't want to remove them after you have them on ie. that's when you'll notice the paint difference... but I do think it enhances the look so I'm getting them.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I don't like them and had them removed from my car when I got it.

You'll need the inserts from the rear wheel wells to properly remove them

·
Registered
334 Posts
splash guard are fine... i got my car withour it but i don't have plan of installing one. It's just a matter of preference. Go for what makes you happy. 2012 Civic comes really neat with or without it.:icon_wave:

·
Registered
46 Posts
I installed them on my LX. For me it was more for protection against road debris/mud.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I got the splash guards on my new Civic and I love them. I agree with chivas1, they do protect more against road debris/mud.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts