9th Gen Civic Forum banner

Anybody get recall notice for the '14

7K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  upshifter 
#1 ·
We got a recall from the NHTSA 14V-109 It is about the tires that can have unexpected air loss due to the possibility of one of the tires may have been damaged during installation. It will take 66 minutes but they want you to drop it off at least a half a day.

Man I expected a lot of recalls for the '12 because it was new but did not expect it for the '14. Not happy with less than 300 miles to need this.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners...getCategory=R&searchCriteria.nhtsa_ids=14V109

#2 ·
At least Honda issues notices and tries to rectify the situation not like some other companies (GM). Recalls in general do suck though.

Reactions: 79537
#4 ·
I wonder if it due to the particular tire and the way the bead is shaped that causes a problem with the equipment's handling of the tire? Or, it is an operator error in the mounting process? The recall states "steel wheels". That indicates LX models only.

#5 ·
The recall involves both Firestone and continental tires. They bulletin I received states the it may have been an equipment issue. Unfortunately they could not pinpoint exactly how many tires were damaged. My shop has only had to replace five tire in total since the recall started.

#7 ·
As I said in another post, I didn't like the Nankook tires on my 2014 EX coupe, and replaced them with premium Toyo tires. The difference is considerable, especially on rough pavement, or wet pavement, or road noise. The premium Toyo tires make you want to throw rocks at the Nankook, or whatever they're called. The Toyo tires cost nearly twice as much, but they are worth it.

#8 ·
We got a recall from the NHTSA 14V-109 It is about the tires that can have unexpected air loss due to the possibility of one of the tires may have been damaged during installation. It will take 66 minutes but they want you to drop it off at least a half a day.

Man I expected a lot of recalls for the '12 because it was new but did not expect it for the '14. Not happy with less than 300 miles to need this.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners...getCategory=R&searchCriteria.nhtsa_ids=14V109
It was an installation problem with the tires, nothing to do with the car.

#10 ·
The reason for the recall is because one of hondas parts companies that actually puts the tire on the rim had a major screw up when they were putting tires on rims and put out a recall just incase we didnt catch them all at the plant because I remember we were having alot pf associates going and test driving cars all day for this issue a few months ago

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#13 ·
Odd, my 14 si model had a low pressure light come on at around 5k miles or around there during a normal freeway drive. I pulled over to the nearest gas station and check for any punctures, leaks etc and turned out my rear driver side was low, it was around 30 psi. Maybe it might've been linked to this? I put in air and the light hadn't came on since. I actually ended up changing those continental tires for some falkens.

#14 ·
My '14 car recall was done before we got it. Tire pressure drop when the air in the tire is cold. I have to add air every fall season in my '12 and then its OK. I just got it serviced so I expect to add air some time this winter. I fill them to 35 psi and the dealer filled them to 32psi. No problems yet in the '14 but in the '12 it comes on when the air pressure drops below 29 psi due to the drop in air temperature. Pure Nitrogen should help prevent the tire to deflate due to temps but air is cheap.

#15 ·

When I bought mine 3 months ago, I made them remove the factory tires and exchange them with my trade in car. My trade-in car had nearly new Toyo tires, costing me over 700 dollars. The Hankook tires that came on my Civic were rough riding and only medium quality. So, since I had the factory tires removed I don't have to worry about the recall. Toyo Premium Z tires make me want to throw rocks at those Hankooks.

Thanks for posting the recall message though. I could have used it had I not changed tires.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.