9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just posting this out of curiosity....
My 8 year old son is now interested in cars, and we were chatting this morning about my 2012 Si. I told him I'm such a fan of this car, I could see myself keeping this one for a long time (I've previously leased for 3 years at a time). He said maybe I could keep it until he drives in 8-9 years and it could be his first car. I said maybe... LOL. At my current rate of driving, the car would have about 120-140k miles on it if/when I passed it down to him. Has anyone dyno'ed a stock Si (or other Civic) with higher mileage? Any power loss? This is just a general question, not specific to any one generation or engine.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know about a dyno but 140,000 is nothing for a Civic; it's just broken in at that mileage :)
very true... so when I give it to my son, I can say "here's your new car" LOL

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I think at that point it'll be near perfect-age car for a brand new driver.
Provided you take proper care of it; it'll be as safe, reliable, and enjoyable in ten years as it is today.
I think I'm keeping my si forever.
It just may be "the one"

·
Registered
429 Posts
I dyno'd my old '99 Civic EX when it had like 190k miles (my school just got a new dyno and needed a guinea pig). Put down 93hp at the wheels. Based on what I see around the forums, that's not terribly far off from what lower-mileage cars do. Usually between 95 and 105. I think it was rated at 132 to the crank when it was new.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
140k, if cared for, you ought to have a good 95% of original compression (or more). Car should be serviceable to 250k with basic maintenance.

·
I Need A Vacation
13,404 Posts
I'm just posting this out of curiosity....
My 8 year old son is now interested in cars, and we were chatting this morning about my 2012 Si. I told him I'm such a fan of this car, I could see myself keeping this one for a long time (I've previously leased for 3 years at a time). He said maybe I could keep it until he drives in 8-9 years and it could be his first car. I said maybe... LOL. At my current rate of driving, the car would have about 120-140k miles on it if/when I passed it down to him. Has anyone dyno'ed a stock Si (or other Civic) with higher mileage? Any power loss? This is just a general question, not specific to any one generation or engine.
What I've read not from experience but I 'd say at that mileage a 5% loss in HP can be expected.

·
I Drive Too Much
4,526 Posts
I have driven a few Si's from new through 200,000+ and I have handed one off to my 16 yr old new driver son before. There is not really much of a noticeable hp loss at all through 200k if maintained properly. The one I gave to my son to learn how to drive had over 225,000 at the time and he loved it. No dyno was ever done on that 2000 Si, sorry can't help you with real numbers to back up my story.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies guys. He helped me wash it today and check the oil and tire pressure. He's enjoying it so far.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts