9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The stock brakes are just awful. The day i bought my car i drove at normal speeds down a steep hill and my car was already shaking. I had a focus a few years back and from brand new to 30k miles no matter what i did, the breaks were perfect. Now at 17k my car needs new brakes, anyway, upgrades are on the way from r1 concepts, anyone have a similar problem?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Lol. The are consumer compact cars with a sporty twist. For the most part, the car is awesome. Seems like the the people driving their cars hard are the ones complaining about it not being good enough. With that said, I am gonna do something with the suspension because it needs a little attention.

·
that cranky admin
6,077 Posts
Lol. The are consumer compact cars with a sporty twist. For the most part, the car is awesome. Seems like the the people driving their cars hard are the ones complaining about it not being good enough. With that said, I am gonna do something with the suspension because it needs a little attention.
It is tough to stop from 130 mph without the brakes feeling weird. I don't appreciate that.

·
Registered
725 Posts
A change of rotors and pads will make it much better. It did for me. I think I will be adding Goodridge SS lines next.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Something must be wrong with yous, mine dont chatter or shake....they're not Lambo brakes, yeah....but they're not bad either.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I'm talking under normal non aggressive driving conditions they get very wobbly, I live in a very hilly area and never had a problem this bad with any other car, especially new

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
112 Posts
DOWNSHIFT MY FRIEND! the good things is with a high redline you can jam it in gear and get engine braking. But yes stock brakes suck.

What we need is brakes from TOMMY BOY!

·
Registered
799 Posts
Mine have been working just fine for a year now

·
Raspy is a bad thing?
4,535 Posts
Mine seem to be up to par. I haven't noticed any noises or issues at all. Plenty of firmness so far. I've had mine since Aug '12.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I like the brakes,very good in all conditions,hardly any fade.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
236 Posts
Mine seem fine no shaking or wobbling. They could be better if course but I ve hit them hard and they seem good.

In a comparison video, I think it was the car and driver segment where they test cars under $30,000, they didn't say anything about the si s brakes but they said the GTI brakes faded very quickly. They may not be the best in a civic but I don't think they are sub par.

Didn't see if OP was SI or not?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
130 Posts
Went to the rally race in Salem Mo a few weeks ago, trying to find the next spectator location the lead car slammed on his brakes to turn making all of us slam on ours, going from 80 to a dead stop. There was a WRX that was the only car that stopped sooner than mine. Protege 5, 300, '04 Evo, '06 WRX. They engaged solid and stayed steady from 80-0 and still have no fade or wobble, they didn't even warp under the heavy pressure.

·
Registered
549 Posts
DOWNSHIFT MY FRIEND! the good things is with a high redline you can jam it in gear and get engine braking. But yes stock brakes suck.

What we need is brakes from TOMMY BOY!
I have always lived in the mentality, shift down and have to replace a clutch disc earlier if you don't rev match.
I would rather use the brakes because they are easier to change, and I can upgrade to a set of Hawk pads which are more to my liking.

·
that cranky admin
6,077 Posts
Went to the rally race in Salem Mo a few weeks ago, trying to find the next spectator location the lead car slammed on his brakes to turn making all of us slam on ours, going from 80 to a dead stop. There was a WRX that was the only car that stopped sooner than mine. Protege 5, 300, '04 Evo, '06 WRX. They engaged solid and stayed steady from 80-0 and still have no fade or wobble, they didn't even warp under the heavy pressure.
I smoked my brakes up on a hard stop like that and things seemed to go from bad to worse. I really need brakes but man 4 disks and pads is EXPENSIVE

1 - 20 of 36 Posts