9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

My 13' Si coupe started acting weird in the shifts. Goes into gear, but if I drive it hard, the position of the shifter changes. The video might not make it obvious, but when I force the shifter down in 2-4-6, the shifters neutral position lowers as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yeah that is stretched. I had the same issue almost about a year ago. Just order new cables and swap them out. Mine was worse tho, my car wouldn't even go into reverse because I broke the cable right where it links to the gear selector on top of the trans.

·
Registered
423 Posts
maybe upgrade to the hybrid racing shifter cables.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
maybe upgrade to the hybrid racing shifter cables.
I was looking at those, but they aren't in stock until August 14th, and this is my daily.

I've only done regular maintenance. Is the install something I should hit up a shop for?

·
Registered
423 Posts
I was looking at those, but they aren't in stock until August 14th, and this is my daily.

I've only done regular maintenance. Is the install something I should hit up a shop for?
i think i saw a video somewhere on YT. I heard it's not hard, just tedious. If you're mechanically incline, then I would say it's something you can do yourself. But, I haven't personally done this upgrade. I was looking into it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
How do these cables stretch? Is it because of a short shifter or what?

Sent from my iPhone X while on the toilet.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Maybe the old owner was heavy handed with it? I'm 10k into it, keeping it all stock.
Even idk how that’s possible. I’ve never had cables stretched on any of my cars unless I had a short shifter.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Installing new cables is easy if you have jack stands to put the car up on. Installed a new set of oem myself, ive got a short shifter. Got oem For $140 and needed my car asap so wen with them for now and will upgrade to the hybrid ones

·
Registered
2015 Honda Civic Si Coupe
725 Posts
How do these cables stretch? Is it because of a short shifter or what?

Yeah I don't understand how it happens. I really didn't know it was thing until I joined a FB group.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Installing new cables is easy if you have jack stands to put the car up on. Installed a new set of oem myself, ive got a short shifter. Got oem For $140 and needed my car asap so wen with them for now and will upgrade to the hybrid ones
Man, I shoulda just done what you said. I'm a newbie, so I really only do maintanence stuff and don't touch anything that isn't obvious. Yesterday, I called my car guy friend and asked if I could buy the parts and do it myself. He doesn't know my car, but said something about I shouldn't because of some sort of alignment I might need to do? Idk any shops, so I went against my gut and took it to the dealer like an idiot...

I described the issue to these dudes. I definitely said it doesn't feel right and I think its the cables in the linkage. They charged me half an hour for diagnostics, only to tell me they couldnt replicate the issue, but said theres definitely more play than there should be. Sent me on my way saying I should monitor it and consider tranny fluid drain and fill...

I'm so mad at myself, lol... I think I'm just going to attempt to swap everything myself...

·
Registered
769 Posts
Man, I shoulda just done what you said. I'm a newbie, so I really only do maintanence stuff and don't touch anything that isn't obvious. Yesterday, I called my car guy friend and asked if I could buy the parts and do it myself. He doesn't know my car, but said something about I shouldn't because of some sort of alignment I might need to do? Idk any shops, so I went against my gut and took it to the dealer like an idiot...

I described the issue to these dudes. I definitely said it doesn't feel right and I think its the cables in the linkage. They charged me half an hour for diagnostics, only to tell me they couldnt replicate the issue, but said theres definitely more play than there should be. Sent me on my way saying I should monitor it and consider tranny fluid drain and fill...

I'm so mad at myself, lol... I think I'm just going to attempt to swap everything myself...
is your car stock or do you have an intake?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just do the swap yourself. Mine broke last fall and was able to get it done in less than 2 hours. Just make sure you get the plastic in the center of the car out so you have plenty of room to get under the shifter. You also just need a lift or jack stands to get under the car where you'll need to remove the heat shield and like 2 brackets where the cables bolt on. It's not difficult or scary. I think I found a diy for an 8th gen and it ended up helping me a ton.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just do the swap yourself. Mine broke last fall and was able to get it done in less than 2 hours. Just make sure you get the plastic in the center of the car out so you have plenty of room to get under the shifter. You also just need a lift or jack stands to get under the car where you'll need to remove the heat shield and like 2 brackets where the cables bolt on. It's not difficult or scary. I think I found a diy for an 8th gen and it ended up helping me a ton.
Yeah, I looked at the hybrid racing guide. This should more or less be the same, right?

·
Registered
769 Posts
There you go good find. Was going to say if youre stock you have to move the intake box out of the way. I do suggest doing the acuity shifter cable bushings at the same time while youre there

1 - 18 of 18 Posts