9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if the topic is repeated, but the app is acting weird.

There is a 3000$ fuel card avaible to you if you purchase the CNG through march 31, 2014. Only civic 2012 only, though.

1391285791271.jpg

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,252 Posts
Obviously not a big seller.

·
Registered
72 Posts
According to the CNG message board, there are only 34 2012 Civic CNGs left nationwide. I bought one in Aug 2013 that was manufactured in July 2012, so it presumably sat on the lot for almost a year before I bought it. Apparently there was some kind of tax break if you bought an alternative fuel car back in 2011 and these were pretty popular up until that program ended. The dealer I bought mine from said that people were paying up to $3k over MSRP for them when the tax thing was going on, so dealers bought a bunch of the 2012s, the tax program ended, then the dealers got left holding the bag. The first dealership I went to tried to show me one and the battery was dead. Needless to say, dealerships were fighting with each other pretty hard to get me to take one of their cars, all taking big losses on the sale, and I ended up getting one for a little under $24K out the door and the $3K gas card on top of that.
Anyway, as a commuter car it's pretty cool, especially in California where there are a lot of refueling stations and you qualify for the carpool lane stickers. A tank of gas costs about $15 from the Clean Energy stations that this fuel card works with and you get about 200-220 miles of range if you don't care about driving in an MPG-efficient manner. If you live in SoCal, you can also use the toll lanes on the 110 and 10 (and maybe the 91?) for free from 3/1/14-1/1/19, which is the primary reason I bought the car. I'll be saving about $15K in tolls over that five year period, plus with the free fuel card and the reduced cost of fuel after I finish the card, I'll have saved about $21K that I would have spent had I kept my old car. It's a weird car that people buy for very specific reasons; you have to live in a city that has the refueling infrastructure, you can't take it on road trips, some of the maintenance can only be done at a dealership, but at the same time you're supporting American energy independence since almost all CNG used in the US is produced domestically and you're emitting 2-4x less pollutants than even a Civic LX if you care about that sort of thing, or you just want really cheap fuel. On top of that, you get the bragging rights of having the most expensive Civic, even over the Si owners... ha ha?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
According to the CNG message board, there are only 34 2012 Civic CNGs left nationwide. I bought one in Aug 2013 that was manufactured in July 2012, so it presumably sat on the lot for almost a year before I bought it. Apparently there was some kind of tax break if you bought an alternative fuel car back in 2011 and these were pretty popular up until that program ended. The dealer I bought mine from said that people were paying up to $3k over MSRP for them when the tax thing was going on, so dealers bought a bunch of the 2012s, the tax program ended, then the dealers got left holding the bag. The first dealership I went to tried to show me one and the battery was dead. Needless to say, dealerships were fighting with each other pretty hard to get me to take one of their cars, all taking big losses on the sale, and I ended up getting one for a little under $24K out the door and the $3K gas card on top of that.
Anyway, as a commuter car it's pretty cool, especially in California where there are a lot of refueling stations and you qualify for the carpool lane stickers. A tank of gas costs about $15 from the Clean Energy stations that this fuel card works with and you get about 200-220 miles of range if you don't care about driving in an MPG-efficient manner. If you live in SoCal, you can also use the toll lanes on the 110 and 10 (and maybe the 91?) for free from 3/1/14-1/1/19, which is the primary reason I bought the car. I'll be saving about $15K in tolls over that five year period, plus with the free fuel card and the reduced cost of fuel after I finish the card, I'll have saved about $21K that I would have spent had I kept my old car. It's a weird car that people buy for very specific reasons; you have to live in a city that has the refueling infrastructure, you can't take it on road trips, some of the maintenance can only be done at a dealership, but at the same time you're supporting American energy independence since almost all CNG used in the US is produced domestically and you're emitting 2-4x less pollutants than even a Civic LX if you care about that sort of thing, or you just want really cheap fuel. On top of that, you get the bragging rights of having the most expensive Civic, even over the Si owners... ha ha?
If you care about the environment and want to save money, CNG car is the right car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought a 2013 and was unfortunately lied to by 3 sales associates and was told all the way through the process that I could get this gas card with my purchase. Pretty darn pissed about it, hoping Honda will step up on the Customer Service side for the errors/ lies by 3 different sales associates from 2 different dealerships.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I just bought a 2013 and was unfortunately lied to by 3 sales associates and was told all the way through the process that I could get this gas card with my purchase. Pretty darn pissed about it, hoping Honda will step up on the Customer Service side for the errors/ lies by 3 different sales associates from 2 different dealerships.
That's odd, the remaining 2012 and 2013 CNGs should come with fuel cards. Dealer participation was optional, but if they were telling you that you could get it, you should have been able to. What was the hang up? All I had to do was fill out two applications (one for Clean Energy, one for Honda) when I bought my car and my fuel card showed up about a month later. Definitely keep on it, $3000 is about 3 years of fuel.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Damn those salespeople. I had a salesperson promised me some extra accesories, but he didn't give them at that time because they were out of stock. He never delivered. When I told him about it, he said I was crazy. Next time I am buying a car, I will make them sign a special agreement of what they promised so they don't me bs me in the end.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 8 of 8 Posts