9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
noise when releasing the brakes

hi! i have a civic coupe ex-l and it's just 2 months old with barely 1k miles. i noticed that whenever i'm on D, and release the brakes, i hear like a grinding noise and it's annoying. and whenever i'm on R, and release the brakes, i can hear a knocking noise at the back. this is weird coz it's brand new. anyone experiencing same problem? they said that honda cars are really like this. is that true? thanks in advance guys!

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
hi! i have a civic coupe ex-l and it's just 2 months old with barely 1k miles. i noticed that whenever i'm on D, and release the brakes, i hear like a grinding noise and it's annoying. and whenever i'm on R, and release the brakes, i can hear a knocking noise at the back. this is weird coz it's brand new. anyone experiencing same problem? they said that honda cars are really like this. is that true? thanks in advance guys!
Depends is it when yu barely start the car?

Brought to you by the one and only Kid Jdee
FB2 squad #17

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not only when i barely start the car. its still there even after i drive for like 30minutes. but im going to the dealer tomorrow. i guess they're gonna say its normal. i hate it!

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
not only when i barely start the car. its still there even after i drive for like 30minutes. but im going to the dealer tomorrow. i guess they're gonna say its normal. i hate it!
I'd say its normal at the beginning of starting your car that happens to most cars. But not when your brand new civic is Already been warmed up and running

Brought to you by the one and only Kid Jdee
FB2 squad #17

·
Registered
385 Posts
It's normal at the beginning when you first move the car in the morning. That's because the rotors are cold. But once you start driving and the brakes heat up there shouldn't be any noise.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
249 Posts
believe it or not, when the car is not used for awhile it is not from COLD rotors but rotors, esp at night where its moist, begin to get a very light film of RUST almost immeditately.. your pads wear that off very quickly... however that shouldnt be happeningto your warmed up car driven more than a couple blocks
-Christopher

·
Registered
3 Posts
As a new Honda civic 2012 owner, the grinding noise on releasing the brake and while on reverse has been very distressing to me as well. You wouldn't expect that from a new car. I didn't even bother with the dealer because I know they would have a ready made answer to that. From what I have read on the internet, it looks like it is fairly common with Honda Civic and is more pronounced as previously mentioned during the morning when you start a cold engine. In my case I have learned to live with the noise when I start the car, but the grinding noise does go away as you drive along. Hopefully that's the case with you. I am not sure what is causing this and would love to know for fact that it is not a cause of concern. Anyways most cars do have a clunking noise when you first start it. Also I read somewhere that it would help if you have the brakes on when you park the car while on Neutral. It seemed to have helped matter for me, but not entirely. I still do hear the noise in the morning.

Hurts to say that everything is rusty with Honda civic. Rusty brake pads, rusty drum brake :(

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok..so i went to the dealer..i've waited for like 3hours. they said they removed all the tires and checked the brakes. guess what? they didn't find any problem. so it's normal..lol..i knew it. but thanks guys for all your insights!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Everybody,

First post here, whats up! On my commute home I ride on several downhill highways. I notice that when going downhill, the transmission will stay in a low gear. I find this handy because I don't have to ride the brakes so much to keep at my preferred speed. If I do want to speed up, I have to step on the gas a considerable amount for the tranny to upshift.

It doesn't feel weird or unnatural, just want to make sure that you guys are experiencing this too.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
It's the grade logic in the transmission. Most people hate it including me. In my 2010, if I hit a short hill and tapped on the brake to slow 5mph it would violently down shift 2 gears slowing me to much, then I would have to hit the gas to get it back into 5th which would re-accelerate me past the speed I was originally wanting to slow to. Such a PITA.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Weird. When I go downhill on a steep hill it revs and stays in 4000 rpm or so. I haven't done it in awhile since I haven't gone down a steep hill but I'll def find out soon when I go through the grapevine.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
135 Posts
It's the grade logic in the transmission. Most people hate it including me. In my 2010, if I hit a short hill and tapped on the brake to slow 5mph it would violently down shift 2 gears slowing me to much, then I would have to hit the gas to get it back into 5th which would re-accelerate me past the speed I was originally wanting to slow to. Such a PITA.
I have the solution!! Drive standard :p tehee :)

·
Registered
372 Posts
So this is normal when driving down steep hill the car revs to 4000RPM?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Weird had so many cars and none of them did that.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts