9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On its web site, Automobile magazine has a fairly extensive comparison article of the new Civic, Focus, and the Elantra. Here is their conclusion:

Despite its lower spec, the Focus was our favorite car to drive, with its nicely weighted steering, natural clutch action, and responsive handling. True, the Focus was the least economical (in terms of gas mileage), but we enjoyed rowing its manual gearbox. The hatchback body style is a versatile configuration that neither competitor offers. The Focus cabin wasn't as stylish as the Elantra's but neither was it quite as pedestrian as the Honda's, although it is more intimate than both. In any event, the Focus was the best driver's car, and while they may not be the most important factor for most small-car shoppers, it's where our prejudice lies, so the Focus is our pick.

The complete article is here:

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/driven/1104_2012_honda_civic_meets_2011_hyundai_elantra_and_2012_ford_focus/index.html

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/driven/1104_2012_honda_civic_meets_2011_hyundai_elantra_and_2012_ford_focus/conclusions.html

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
oh sh1t, here we go again! lol
thanks for the article. i love the competition and the fact that its been published. Its true that the Focus is the only one offering the hatchback (i think everyone is going towards that euro styling now as many other brands are now in the US) and the mpg's on the AT are better than the MT for Ford. Thanks for the post!!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks for sharing that. I've been waiting for some thorough comparison tests of these cars. I was briefly considering the Focus, and after this I realize I must test drive it before writing it off. I'm definitely not getting a Hyundai or Toyota. So it's down to the Focus, Civic, or Cruze.

Hopefully Car & Driver will have a good comparison test of these cars soon. I want to get my new daily driver within 1-2 months.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for sharing that. I've been waiting for some thorough comparison tests of these cars. I was briefly considering the Focus, and after this I realize I must test drive it before writing it off. I'm definitely not getting a Hyundai or Toyota. So it's down to the Focus, Civic, or Cruze.

Hopefully Car & Driver will have a good comparison test of these cars soon. I want to get my new daily driver within 1-2 months.
I haven't driven the 2012 civic but I have driven the 2012 focus (the SE cheaper model) and it was a great ride. Acceleration was great, brakes were great, suspension felt just right (not too soft but not too hard), and the cabin was very quiet (vast difference from my mazda6!).

I'd test drive all 3... no point in eliminating any of your considerations without a good ol test drive. :)

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
the only thing that puts me on the fence with a Focus is the 6 speed AT.....its great for mpg's and acceleration but i know my Raptor has a 6 speed AT and its is constantly shifting looking for the best gear. Especially here in CA where the driving conds vary SO much it seems like it never finds a gear that its happy in. i dont know if this is the case with the focus but its just a thought :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
the only thing that puts me on the fence with a Focus is the 6 speed AT.....its great for mpg's and acceleration but i know my Raptor has a 6 speed AT and its is constantly shifting looking for the best gear. Especially here in CA where the driving conds vary SO much it seems like it never finds a gear that its happy in. i dont know if this is the case with the focus but its just a thought :)
I can see that being an issue. I'll definitely let you guys know if I notice anything funny (if I ever get it.. it's gonna be a long 8 weeks).

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
I can see that being an issue. I'll definitely let you guys know if I notice anything funny (if I ever get it.. it's gonna be a long 8 weeks).
Dont look at it as 8 weeks.....look at it as 4 weeks until you get your VIN, and then about 2 weeks for your actual build, and then another 2 weeks for delivery :) trust me it goes by quicker if you break it up......i would know!

i dont know that this will be an issue with the Focus but i only drove it around the city, not over 50 or a long period.......but it didnt seem like a issue to me. i think its like that with my truck because the thing wieghs 6k pounds!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Dont look at it as 8 weeks.....look at it as 4 weeks until you get your VIN, and then about 2 weeks for your actual build, and then another 2 weeks for delivery :) trust me it goes by quicker if you break it up......i would know!

i dont know that this will be an issue with the Focus but i only drove it around the city, not over 50 or a long period.......but it didnt seem like a issue to me. i think its like that with my truck because the thing wieghs 6k pounds!
My salesperson had me drive on roads that were 50+... I saw no issues with shifting. I went up to 60 mph.

And yes... I intend on breaking up the time period just like you pointed out. Just waiting for the VIN and then I'll move on to the next stage. Hope the VIN comes earlier than 4 weeks. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts