9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 EX coupe w/ Nav. I remember when I first got this car (new, in 2013), I could go 300+ miles on one full tank/fill up. Lately I average about 260/270 miles on one full tank of gas (regular, unleaded). Obviously there is some fluctuation (better milage on highway, worse when I'm doing a lot of city driving, etc). My question is, has anyone else noticed that their gas milage has decreased over the years? Could there be an underlying issue, causing my gas milage to be worse (IE, could the electronic gauge be faulty, etc?)? What is the average amount of miles you can drive on a full tank, before having to refuel? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
344 Posts
how many miles on the car? It could be a number of things...... sensors starting to go bad, buildup, wheel bearing starting to slightly go bad causing resistance, etc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have just under 70k on it. Have done one new set of tires and brakes, and all routine oil changes.

·
Registered
457 Posts
As your car gets older there are typical normal things that could affect your gas mileage, as others have said the wear on the tires/tire pressure could be an issue or just build up in the engine could cause it to have to work harder/use more gas, etc. My 2015 civic is 4 years old has just a touch over 70k miles on it and it averages 300-400 miles between fill ups but thats mostly highway driving and it was able to get over 400 miles between fill ups when it was newer.

·
Registered
344 Posts
check to see if your throttle body is dirty. Maybe try a fuel injector cleaner on your next fill up. Check your bearings, etc.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
fwiw, i'm at 124,500 plus miles. my mpg is about the same as it was. in fact, i got my best tank ever few months back. as many have said, many things affect mileage. biggest issue this time of year is the ambient air temp and tire pressures. type of fuel, summer blend vs. winter blend. bearings, air cleaner age, quality of oil, driving habits, city vs. highway ratio, heater on the car, A/C on or off. time idling, etc.

just so many variants. could have a coil pack going bad.

·
Registered
545 Posts
You mentioned brakes.
I've had 2 vehicles lately that had seized caliper pins. Basically, one side of brake pad was hung up on rotors. Caused weird brake feel, and alot of brake dust on rims.
Not sure if it caused noticable decrease in MPG, but should have.
Also, my first go to on MPG issues is seafoam in a 1/4 tank of gas...but this is a arguable topic.

·
Registered
251 Posts
also a fan of seafoam, with a half tank of premium, on a good long highway run. make it work hard and get good n hot.
lucas fuel injector cleaner also a good product.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts