9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question. I don't know too much about cars so I could be wrong by asking this... But... Why wouldn't you want to buy a 2011 mustang v6 which has 305hp (over 100 more than the new civic), 280lbs of torque, 19/31mpg city/hwy, and they both are priced the same (the mustang could be cheaper if the price on the new civics go up but as of right now they are the exact same base price)? Im not putting down the civic as I am a fan and have friends that have 8th gen Si's. I'm just putting out the idea to hear what you guys think.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I've thought about this as well. For me though I have always been a fan of imports. There is so much that you can do with Civics and if you pay attention, a lot of Civics are personalized in one way or another. I've never owned a car and kept it stock. Also Honda's dependability is like no other. I like Mustangs too but a Civic is more of a daily driver in my opinion. I work with a couple guys who are all about muscle cars, one owns a 2007 Corvette, the other a 2001 Supercharged Camaro SS, and the other owns a 2006 pontiac GTO. They are all trying to talk me out of the SI but it ultimately comes down to what you want. I see absolutley no point of having 400 hp under your hood for a daily driver. As long as I can get 80 mph on the freeway I'm good, and I still have the VTEC kick if I feel I want a little more power. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
214 Posts
Agree

These answers hit the nail on the head. I agree that Ford has really done something with the new generation Mustang, both V-6 and V-8. 29 hwy on V-8(4.6 sec 0-60, sub 14.0 1/4). The acceleration is really something but unless something has radically changed, really changed, the Mustang is not on the quality level of the Si nor does it have the personalization potential of the Si. I owned a 64 1/2 Mustang for 4 very long years. Quality was terrible!!! My son has owned either 5 or 6 GTs, model years from about 1990-2003, and a Cobra. We had to change the clutch, throw-out bearing, and pressure plate on all 6 or 7 cars. NOT 1 OF THEM CAME FROM THE FACTORY WITH AN ADJUSTABLE CLUTCH CABLE FOR THE MECHANICAL CLUTCH(NOT HYDRAULIC)!!!! How stupid! We bought aftermarket cables that had adjustment provisions for a mere $200 each car. Ford could have made these cables adjustable for no more than $5 extra yet didn't decade after decade. Our slightly notchy 6-speed is nothing compared to this type of junk "engineering". Thanks to Amsoil and plans to put a short shifter and new bearings and cable and solider engine mounts, I will be able to correct this problem for a few hundred $s. CAI, a little engine re-programming, and lighter wheels should get the Sis performance close to the V-6 Mustang while having a much higher quality car.
I do agree that you have an excellent question and hopefully a lot of reasonable answers followed.

·
Registered
38 Posts
One thing to note about the V6. Most of the performance numbers quoted by the magazines are with the performance package. This adds a couple of grand to the base price. It also changes the gear ratio of the rear end to improve acceleration which means you can kiss that oft quoted 31(AT) MPG goodbye.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Agree

One thing to note about the V6. Most of the performance numbers quoted by the magazines are with the performance package. This adds a couple of grand to the base price. It also changes the gear ratio of the rear end to improve acceleration which means you can kiss that oft quoted 31(AT) MPG goodbye.
Since I hadn't even considered or looked into the Mustang other than reading the initial articles last year, I was unaware of the specifics. Great points.

·
Registered
423 Posts
This is a great question! the mustang is actually one of my options for a new car and has been for awhile now. My family consists of imports, german cars, muscle, so i love everything put theres just something about imports that make them interesting, fun and give you the options to mod to personal taste. It seems with something like a honda your almost never done modding or customizing, theres always something to do and you can go so many ways with it.

Reasons for civic over mustang imo:

-Not everyone likes muscle cars.
-More aftermarket parts and modding options avaliable for hondas.
-Muscle cars usally not good in winter (rwd)
-Insurance may cost more.
-Honda is better on gas. / Prob costs less to fill up
-Honda cost less depending on which model you get.
Mustang can get up there in price (the model i was looking at was about $36,000) - (basically $10,000 more over the coupe i want)
-Mustang states 31 mpg hwy (but with how people drive them and potential mods, deff wont be 31mpg - some mods/tunes even may require 94 octane)
-hondas have pretty good resale and reliability (not saying new fords aren't reliable)
-a stock civic may not be as fast, but still a fun car.

:)

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
This is a great question! the mustang is actually one of my options for a new car and has been for awhile now. My family consists of imports, german cars, muscle, so i love everything put theres just something about imports that make them interesting, fun and give you the options to mod to personal taste. It seems with something like a honda your almost never done modding or customizing, theres always something to do and you can go so many ways with it.

Reasons for civic over mustang imo:

-Not everyone likes muscle cars.
-More aftermarket parts and modding options avaliable for hondas.
-Muscle cars usally not good in winter (rwd)
-Insurance may cost more.
-Honda is better on gas. / Prob costs less to fill up
-Honda cost less depending on which model you get.
Mustang can get up there in price (the model i was looking at was about $36,000) - (basically $10,000 more over the coupe i want)
-Mustang states 31 mpg hwy (but with how people drive them and potential mods, deff wont be 31mpg - some mods/tunes even may require 94 octane)
-hondas have pretty good resale and reliability (not saying new fords aren't reliable)
-a stock civic may not be as fast, but still a fun car.

:)
just to add to this, the Civic will hold its value WAY better than any V6 mustang ever could! my buddy had a V6 Mustang and he was told the market is so flooded with people trying to sell those that they wouldnt offer him half of what it was worth. Although Civic's are very popular as well, there is a higher demand for them in this current market and it will only grow as gas prices increase. Especially places like here in CA where 87 Octane is already over $4/gal

·
Registered
423 Posts
just to add to this, the Civic will hold its value WAY better than any V6 mustang ever could! my buddy had a V6 Mustang and he was told the market is so flooded with people trying to sell those that they wouldnt offer him half of what it was worth. Although Civic's are very popular as well, there is a higher demand for them in this current market and it will only grow as gas prices increase. Especially places like here in CA where 87 Octane is already over $4/gal
yup deff agree..and gas is only going to go up..so the civic imo is better for the long term future..and the maintenace required is just a bonus.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
yup deff agree..and gas is only going to go up..so the civic imo is better for the long term future..and the maintenace required is just a bonus.
Actually the maintenance is what drove me away from another STI/WRX.....its a lot of work and upkeep.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Actually the maintenance is what drove me away from another STI/WRX.....its a lot of work and upkeep.
yup it can be..I have an 2005 sti within my family (only 50,k) but its time to do the brakes, rotors and pads and ya its pretty expensive stuff.

you gotta go high end with a vehicle like that, you kinda got no choice. :dry:

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
yup it can be..I have an 2005 sti within my family (only 50,k) but its time to do the brakes, rotors and pads and ya its pretty expensive stuff.

you gotta go high end with a vehicle like that, you kinda got no choice. :dry:
lol i had a blue 2005 STI too! like i've said over and over, you gotta pay to play! and right now i dont need anymore toys!

·
Registered
423 Posts
speaking of subaru..the 2012 subaru impreza is another im waiting to see!! should be unveiled at the new york auto show at the end of the month..basically the same time as the civic.:)

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
speaking of subaru..the 2012 subaru impreza is another im waiting to see!! should be unveiled at the new york auto show at the end of the month..basically the same time as the civic.:)
I'm planning on going to that show, I'll be sure to take a lot of pictures!

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have a question. I don't know too much about cars so I could be wrong by asking this... But... Why wouldn't you want to buy a 2011 mustang v6 which has 305hp (over 100 more than the new civic), 280lbs of torque, 19/31mpg city/hwy, and they both are priced the same (the mustang could be cheaper if the price on the new civics go up but as of right now they are the exact same base price)? Im not putting down the civic as I am a fan and have friends that have 8th gen Si's. I'm just putting out the idea to hear what you guys think.

First, a MusTANK must be stripped to get the price down to a loaded Civic. That stripped MusTANK also has a recycled tupperware interior. BUT, if Horsepower is your only measure for "bang", then by all means get the Mustank instead.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
they are re-designing them again?!?!?!
this is the 4th bodystyle since 2005 lol keep trying until you get it right ....i guess

1 - 20 of 20 Posts