9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Subject model: 2012 Civic EX Sedan, not premium audio, no navigation.

I have replaced my factory tweeters and mid-range speakers. They are as follows:

Tweeters: Reference 1031t - Infinity
Door and rear deck: GTO628 | 6-1/2" 2-way loudspeaker | JBL US

I want to use bass blockers on all of the above to reduce any distortion or damage caused by excessive bass. On the Crutchfield website, they are available in 150Hz, 300Hz, 600Hz, and 800Hz cutoff's, but I don't know which to use on the tweeter, and which to use on the mid-range speakers. Can someone with knowledge on this help me choose the rights ones?

Also, though I am running these off the stock head unit, I plan to eventually use an aftermarket 4-channel amplifier. I was thinking of using the JBL GTO-504EZ since it can be used on stock head unit wiring without the use of a line out converter and it is part of the same series as the rest of my JBL speakers, so it will play very well with them. My question is, how do I wire the tweeters and front speakers to the amp? Am I correct to assume that I will run speaker wire from left-front tweeter to left front terminal on amp, and also from left-front door speaker to that same terminal on the amp? Same process for right side?

JBL Amp: GTO-504EZ | A small-footprint, four-channel amplifier with 640-watt max power output, flexible channel configuration and easy setup | JBL US

Please assist. This is my first time doing all of this. Thank you!

Reactions: Digger

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, D.

Reactions: Digger

·
Vanilla Ice is my hero!!!
539 Posts
Bass blockers aren't needed for a stock head unit. Just turn the bass down and loudness off on the radio. Don't waste money on "Bass blockers". They are just a non-polarized electrolytic capacitors. You can buy caps for a lot less money than that at radioshack or mouser electronics. Bass blockers sell for $10, they are 25ish cents a piece. Does this amp have a built in cross-over? If so, that will take the bass out for you. Also, it would be best for the tweeters and speakers to be on their own channels.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
As it stands right now, I do not have an amplifier for my interior speakers. This will be a future addition. I'll look for a 5 channel amplifier since you say it is best for each speaker to be on its own channel, even the tweeters (which I imagine this pair will use just one channel).

Now, as for the stock head unit, I have the bass set at the middle and treble all the way up. There is no bass boost option. I am looking to keep all bass away from my speakers and only have bass from the subwoofer.

If I turn the bass all the way down, won't that affect the way my subwoofer performs since it will be receiving the signal from stock head unit?

I can take volume on most songs to 24-28 without hearing any uncomfortable sounding bass, or distortion. Some songs cause such a kick that it just doesn't sound good. I'm trying to eliminate the punchy kind of bass from reaching the speakers. Otherwise, they sound pretty good even when cranked. The sustained low notes don't sound bad, it's just the punch/kick that I don't like.

·
Registered
115 Posts
if you did do bass blockers... because thats what you want...
I would get the lowest one you mentioned, but only if you have subs.
If you can turn the mid bass up all the way and treble,
Why not turn the bass all the way down?
By turning treble and mid all the way up, you throw off the natural eq of the song which is already done in the studio.
I used to do that as well,
But I learned over time, the default eq of the song is usually the best.
You don't need to turn the bass off to save the speakers,
just make sure there is no distortion and you are okay
If the speaker can play the hi's of the song really loud, then it can play the lows too.
It doesn't have to do double work like we naturally think it would,
But it is more of a complex movement, that it can do equally as well as if there were or were not low notes...
I don't know all the details but look into it, its a good read :)

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I appreciate the input given thus far and will consider it all. I guess I still want to know, if I do choose to use bass blockers, what capacity do I want on the tweeters, and which for the doors and deck?

From what I have read thus far, it sounds like 800Hz on the tweeters and 300Hz on the doors/deck. Can someone advise otherwise, or confirm?

In addition, I have decided today that I will use the Infinity Basslink as my powered subwoofer solution. This is really just FYI for the purposes of this thread, as it doesn't have anything to with my original question on which bass blockers to use where, and how to wire the tweeters to an amplifier whenever I obtain one.

·
Registered
115 Posts
You don't want 300 mhz on the doors.
Reason:
Your subs max range of notes will probably be 250hz,
and I have noticed that after 120 not much is noticeable anyway.
I'd hate to miss out on a lot of the song b/c nothing is playing!

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Roger.

Any recommendation for the tweeters?

Sent from my MB865 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After some more tweaking of what I have so far, I've decided against bass blockers and ordered a 4-channel amp for my setup in progress. Thanks for all the info, gents!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts