9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im having issue with my 2012 civic. I noticed if I leave my door open or interior light on past a few minutes it would drain my battery dead. Also my alternator will charge to 13-14v only if my head lights are on or I hit a pothole otherwise it stays at 12-12.5v.

Autozon tested the battery and its ok but shows that the alternator doesn't go over 12.5v with engine running reading it as bad. But I read this is normal for later Hondas because the ELD sensor down regulates the voltage from the alternator to conserve power usage? Where should I look next? Is there a way to test the ELD sensor?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Unfortunately it’s normal. I’ve got a 2014 and it behaves similarly.
More accurately it seems to charge under certain conditions including turning with the headlights on, driving above a certain speed and braking (according to my obd2 reader).
This behavior accelerates sulfation of the battery and combined with its small size it doesn’t last more than 3 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
122 Posts
Im having issue with my 2012 civic. I noticed if I leave my door open or interior light on past a few minutes it would drain my battery dead. Also my alternator will charge to 13-14v only if my head lights are on or I hit a pothole otherwise it stays at 12-12.5v.

Autozon tested the battery and its ok but shows that the alternator doesn't go over 12.5v with engine running reading it as bad. But I read this is normal for later Hondas because the ELD sensor down regulates the voltage from the alternator to conserve power usage? Where should I look next? Is there a way to test the ELD sensor?
You need a new battery.

In the future you may want to have your vehicle checked at a place that actually repairs vehicles,not a parts store......

1 - 3 of 3 Posts