9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So ive had a 600 rms kicker amp with a kicker 12'' sub for about 2 years now. Ive had lights dim but nothing to major for about 2 years on the stock battery.
Last week i turned on my car to go to work and it was really slow to crank. I thought the old battery had taken a dookie so i went to costco and got a interstate replacement.
Past couple of days have been great car starts instantly with no issue. Until today i had no issues going to work but once i left work to come home my car didnt want to start and it clicked like if the battery was dead.
I proceeded to jump it and got home thinking i was all good. When i get home it doesnt even click anymore. i called my dad for advice and he told me to disconnect the battery while the car runs and if it dies its the alternator.
So i gave that a try and the car ran with the battery unplugged and everything on that i could turn on. Im not sure what to do at the moment, im thinking to exchange the battery or take out all my sub and amp stuff and take it to honda and let them check it. Any help please? Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Get the battery tested is your first step. go to autozone or something im sure theyll do it for free. take the battery out of your car, bring it in. if it's dead, return it to costco let them know what happened. if the battery is good, then i have no clue lol.

i do know the stock battery on our cars is garbage so i replaced mine 1.5 years in.

edit: i have a 10" JL sub and an Alpine m500 amp.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
get the battery tested. go to autozone or something im sure theyll do it for free. take the battery out of your car, bring it in. if it's dead, return it to costco let them know what happened. if the battery is good, then i have no clue lol. i do know the stock battery on our cars is garbage so i replaced mine 1.5 years in.
I'll have it checked out. It's dead at the moment. So wouldn't it just be dead when they test it? Just show up at Costco and say "hey the battery I got here doesn't hold charge and it's new?" is there any way I can test out my alternator I'm really hoping its not that.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So got an update. I went to Costco and got a new battery. New battery Volts where at 12.35 in that ball park for a new one never installed. I installed it and my car started up. But wierdly the Volts don't go up until I have the headlights on. Without it the battery's voltage goes down. Any idea guys?

·
Registered
264 Posts
So got an update. I went to Costco and got a new battery. New battery Volts where at 12.35 in that ball park for a new one never installed. I installed it and my car started up. But wierdly the Volts don't go up until I have the headlights on. Without it the battery's voltage goes down. Any idea guys?

Its normal. It's Hondas grand idea to keep the alternator off unless the sensor/resistor on the battery detects an electrical load in which then the alternator will start charging the battery, hence the normal voltage.

You can turn it off with hondata flashpro. I believe the official term is called ELD: Electronic load detection.

Hopefully that helps.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If my brand new battery isint staying charged unless I load the system with the lights and a.c what does that mean. It's a brand new interstate battery from Costco. Says made in Mexico 7/16

1 - 6 of 6 Posts