9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What’s up 9[SUP]th[/SUP] gen!

I’m Brody, been around for a little bit now! I try to help out where I can.

This is my Air Suspension build thread for my 2015 Si Sedan. I will be periodically posting progress on the build, posting pics & documenting a lot of what I’m doing.

I’ve mentioned before around here I’m DIY-or-die, so of course I will be doing the build by myself lol.

However, this thread is NOT a DIY, how-to, whatever. This is a progress build thread. Although I don’t ever mind answering some questions, this isn’t a step-by-step, and if you’re interested in running Air Suspension on your car, especially if you plan on doing it yourself, I would advise putting in a hell of a lot of research like I did. All I’ve been doing since October is reading up.

Now I’m no Air Suspension expert, this will be my first bag install. Although I am no stranger to modifying cars, so it makes this a lot easier.

It doesn’t seem like many 9[SUP]th[/SUP] genners who are on air do it themselves, at least from the majority I’ve seen…and there isn’t a lot of direct info on bags on the forum in general. So this thread will definitely help you learn about Air Suspension & what’s involved with a bag install.

If you are interested in Air Suspension and don’t know where to start, I would suggest giving this thread a read:

The Ultimate Air Suspension Thread - Acura TSX Forum

The author did a good job including a lot of information and its structured well, and if I were to write a DIY it would be very similar to this.

I put in a lot of reading on vwvortex, airsociety, stanceworks, etc…BagRiders is also a great resource. Google is your best friend. Don’t be a lazy shit, do some research.

Now, for my build!

I have the AirLift 3P management , with 2 Viair 444c compressors, 5 gallon tank with ¼ line. I got it back in October, and I’ve been slowly piecing it together in my basement ever since.

Some of the things you will see in my build didn’t come with the Airlift kit, they are extra parts and things I’ve purchased after I got the kit. Although, the AirLift kit does come with everything you need for a complete bag install. If you want to get a little more custom with your setup, you are probably going to have to get a few more things.

One thing to keep in mind, currently the Airlift 9[SUP]th[/SUP] gen. kit only fits the 12-13 Si. The lower mounts on the front struts on the 12-13 Si are different than the 14-15 Si. Airlift is going to be releasing the 14-15 kit soon. I sourced the lower mounts after I got the kit.

Here’s a thread that shows the lower mount difference:

http://www.9thgencivic.com/forum/suspension-brakes/89553-2014-hond-civic-si-coilover-question.html

...As well as a pic I took of my two different sets of lower mounts to show the difference:

As of right now, I pretty much have everything mapped out on my basement floor. I started with separating and organizing the wiring harness. After I had all the wiring figured out, I started setting up the tank/compressors up how I wanted it to be positioned in my trunk, which in turn helped me figure out how I wanted/needed to do the plumbing.

I essentially just created a replication on my basement floor of how everything is going to be setup in trunk. You want to know exactly how you are going to be installing and setting up everything way before you actually do the install.

As far as my trunk, I’m going for a clean trunk setup that’s worthy of having the trunk popped, but nothing too extravagant. I will be doing a hardwood floor setup, although NO hardlines.

I started mapping out my trunk build by creating a cutout of the trunk. I took paper floor mats and taped them together to form the trunk floor, and cutout the edges to create the trunk shape.

After I finalized my cutout, I decided to use it as a rough draft and traced it out onto new paper as a final product:

Like I said I’m going with a hardwood trunk. So I will have MDF underlying the hardwood flooring.

Currently I’m still waiting on 3 SMC water traps. After that I will pretty much have everything, and I will be able to piece together all the plumbing & everything will be ready for mounting.

I’m also waiting for my hardwood to arrive, which should be here tomorrow!

I got my MDF I’m using for the underlying board yesterday:

After I got my MDF, I used the paper template to trace on the MDF:

Hoping to get it cut out within the next couple days!

Hopefully my hardwood arrives tomorrow like it's suppose too, and I’ll be able to really progress with the trunk build!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot bro! I appreciate it!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update time!

Finally ordered & received my SMC water traps today!

They were the last pieces to my puzzle. I should have everything I need now to really move forward and get this set up & installed!

I got the underlying MDF cut out to shape about a week ago:

Now that the MDF is cut and I have everything I need, I can really start planning the placement and try to get everything in the setup mocked-up as accurate as possible.

First, I started by mapping out the setup placement in the actual trunk on my paper-template for fitment purposes:

…This allowed me to figure out pretty much exactly where I’m going to be installing everything. I then replicated the setup on the MDF:

Tomorrow I’m going to be cutting the underlying MDF in half, and get it ready for fitment testing in the trunk.
After I get the MDF trunk fitment perfect, I can move forward to getting the hardwood setup!

Hoping to really start moving forward with this build!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good question man!

Just like the air we live in, when temperatures fluctuate, air can acquire condensation.

Warm air can hold more moisture than cold air. Now if this warm/moist air comes into contact with colder air, or with a cold surface, then the air is likely to be cooled to it's dew point. At this particular temperature the air becomes saturated, and it can no longer contain the same amount of water vapor as before, and the excess water vapor condenses to liquid.

Same principle applies to air suspension.

The air coming out of the compressor(s) is hot. This hot air immediately comes in contact with the air in the tank, and the air in the tank is usually cool, and a lot of the time cold, especially living in certain areas with cold winters/temperatures, like me in NJ.

Water is an un-avoidable issue when running air suspension, although it can surely be maintained with the proper maintenance and the use of water traps.

Water is the last thing you want in your bag setup. It can ruin the compressor(s), manifold/valves, etc., pretty much whatever it comes into contact with. And if you are running a stainless steel tank (although today most are aluminum--like mine), water will rust the tank out.

Water Traps are a must in my opinion in any air suspension setup. Although they don't "trap" everything, they do trap most water accumulated in the setup, and they act as a filter to help keep your components protected.

Regular Air Suspension maintenance requires you to periodically drain your tank, which is still a must even with water traps. Although water traps help keep the amount of water to a minimum, as well as keep your setup filtered!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Appreciate it bro! I'm workin on it right now:reddomokundance:

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Been making some progress the past couple days!

The MDF trunk cut-out is obviously too big to fit in the trunk as one piece. So after I figured out where I’m going to be mounting all my parts, I determined a good spot to cut the MDF in half.

After cutting it in half, I took it right to the trunk to test fit. Unfortunately, the bottom half still was a tad too big to fit into the trunk in one piece. So, I ended up having to cut the lower half in-half:

Although I really wish the MDF was only two pieces, it still fits in the trunk really well. When I do the install I will be building a lower support in the spare tire well to support the flooring, and that will make everything flush and almost perfect.

Excuse the dirty trunk from saw dust lol.

After confirming the fitment of the MDF, I could then start to map out the cutting & configuring of the hardwood.

After getting the hardwood cut to shape, I took it to the trunk for test fitting:

Test fitting overall went well.

I still have to clean up the edges on both the MDF & the hardwood with a grinder before installing.

Today, I will be permanently attaching the upper first three pieces of the hardwood to the upper MDF cut-out. After the hardwood is attached I can then map out and configure the rest of the hardwood flooring.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The only hardwood that will be attached is the upper 3 pieces of hardwood in the last few pics above, on the upper MDF half. And the reasoning is thats where the tank, compressors and everything will be getting mounted.

The spare tire well will be 100 percent accessible because the rest of the hardwood will be able to pop right out, as well as the two lower MDF halves. I'll try to get a video of this when all of the flooring is done.

I'm still not sure if I'm going to keep or even be able to keep the spare tire in the car in the first place though. But regardless, it still will be accessible and reversible.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Looks great so far! :+1:
Where did you source the lower mounts to fit the bags to the '14-'15 Si's? I'm looking into literally the same AirLift kit..

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks a lot man!

But I sourced the mounts thru AirLift directly.

You can get them directly from them, or BagRiders.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Right on...ill get in contact with them and see about those parts. Thanks

·
Registered
260 Posts
Loving your build Brody, your doing some good work. I feel like I need a shout out though lol.

Reactions: BeeCee

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Loving your build Brody, your doing some good work. I feel like I need a shout out though lol.
Thanks bro!!

And LOL I guess you do deserve one :)

Def helped me out with figuring out how to map this out better with all the pics of your setup your gave me!!!

I'm glad you had everything installed first for sure lol.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts