9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, so I've had my 2015 Coupe for about 8 months now, and I have been slowly and steadily adding my modifications. So, I figure it's time to show my progress, so far.

First, a basic picture of the car itself. Other than exterior lights, which you'll see below, I have not yet done any exterior mods...

SideView.jpg

Now, a couple pictures of my Auxiliary Dash Panel -- or, maybe it should be called iMid2 :eusa_dance: It provides a volt meter, a temperature gauge, and bar-graph estimates for acceleration and cornering G's. This looks complex, but is very basic in design. The temp sensor is simply a thermistor that is taped to a radiator hose hooked to a voltmeter calibrated to show an estimated temperature. It is not a true water temp gauge, but by learning what readings are normal and under what conditions, I should be able to determine if it's getting hotter than normal -- hopefully before engine damage occurs. The G-meters are simply controlled by a module under the passenger seat that has two small swinging pendulums with magnets on them. These magnetic pendulums swing past reed switches (magnetically controlled switches) which then trip a designated part of the bar-graph displays...

AuxPanel1.jpg AuxPanel2.jpg

Note that that I made an effort to mount this display behind the airbag, so it hopefully would not fly around the passenger compartment should the airbag explode.

The following photos show the SiriusXM radio, as well as a control panel that I mounted inside the small storage compartment. The control panel is for switching the functions of the Auxiliary Dash Panel on and off, for calibrating the temperature readout, and for adjusting a delay timer for it all to turn on so that it doesn't get a surge by quickly turning on-off-on while the key is turned past Accessory to start the car.

SiriusXM.jpg SiriusXM-AuxCntrl.jpg

Now, for the aircraft-inspired overhead control panel. As you can see, I am using a gloss-plastic finish throughout. It is mostly smoked plexi with dark paper or cardboard blacking out what I want blacked out, but with computer-printed labels for icons and switch functions backlit with blue LED's where needed. Not all of the functions are hooked up yet. The silver-colored module is a weather-band radio. The rows of LED's toward the back of the console are mood or ambient lights that can be faded between blue and pink/purple and switched on or off...

OHC1.jpg OHC2.jpg OHC3.jpg OHC4.jpg

Eventually, I plan to add control panels to each side of this center panel that will go along the top of the windshield.

Now, for some the exterior lights that I've added. The first is the LED daytime running lights that I added, along with LED-bar fog lights (or driving lights) mounted where OEM fog/driving lights would go.

DRL-FogLts.jpg

I will post more later, but it appears that I have reached the allowable limit of the number of photos that I can load in one post.

Note that everything is currently being powered by the wire going to the cigarette lighter/power-point plug in the console and, for circuits that need power when the car is off, a fused wire directly from the battery. All main wires go through a fuse box that I mounted in the glove box, and then each individual component has its own fuse. Also, everything is connected using plugs and sockets, so that it can all be removed if I need to service something or if it would otherwise be in the way of a mechanic working on the car.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Okay, so here are some more pictures involving the exterior lights.

This following pictures show the Knight Rider Lights, inspired by the TV show. Amazingly, I could not find a simple light bar that simply has a trailing light that moves back and forth, like on the TV show, but I was able to find this unit. It has several different modes, and the one I selected has a dual sequencing light that repeatedly starts at the center and then trails out in each direction...

Knight1.jpg Knight2.jpg Knight3.jpg Knight4.jpg

And this little module is designed to allow me to easily see if any of the effects lights, such as the marker lights or Knight Rider lights, are turned on. I didn't want another prominently visible pod sticking out of the dash, so this actually shines the indicator lights straight up to the windshield, and then it is the reflection in the windshield that is visible. The actual module is generally hidden from view when sitting in a normal position in the car. The Knight Rider lights indicator is actually a mini scanning red light.

HeadsUpMonitor.jpg

Finally, here is where I added switches to turn the daytime running lights and the fog/driving lights on and off...

LightSwitches.jpg

·
Registered
96 Posts
FYI I cant see the attachments on your 2nd post

I have to say that your overhead control panel looks like a spaceship lol, I like it! How are the lights at night? I assumed you can adjust the brightness as to not distract while driving

I would say that you already had a nice start, any plans for the engine mods or wheels?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for letting me know about the pics in the second post. It was weird -- the pictures seemed to load and display, but then they were replaced with that "ATTACHMENT" text. I thought that it was just a limitation due to the number of pics I loaded, but I guess they somehow got deleted. They should be there now, and I also added a picture of DRL and fog/driving light switches.

A spaceship is exactly one of the inspirations! I'll have to post pics of previous cars I've modified in another section of the forum. The brightness of the lighting is not adjustable, but everything is being designed to be able to be switched off if it gets too distracting on a long night drive. One of the buttons on the overhead console is for turning off all of the non-essential lighting (such as labels for switches) while still keeping the actual accessories powered up so they can still be used.

I have no engine mod plans. I'm not much of a "speed freak", so stock is fine with me. Plus, I have a warranty on the car (and while it would look like all that I've done so far would give the underwriter a fit, remember that I have tapped into absolutly no engine/computer circuits) and I also want the car to last as long as possible. This is only the 3rd car I've bought in as many decades, and the 8th one in my life -- I generally just regularly modify and enhance my existing car instead of trading in every few years.

No real plans for the wheels, either, though I might want to put more "custom" hubcaps on it. I know the ones that came with it are bolted on with the lug nuts. Is it possible to remove those hubcaps (by unbolting them and then bolting just the wheels back on without the hubcaps) and install conventional snap-on style hubcaps?

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,416 Posts
Welcome to 9th gen.

Very interesting mods you have done. I especially like the 'over the headlight' DRLs.

You may want to check on the legality of the 'Knight Rider' front light setup. Local law enforcement may not care for a civilian auto with moving grill lights, similar to a(n unmarked) police cruiser.

Your steel wheels are fastenable with the stock lugs without the wheel covers, but I don't know if there are any aftermarket covers made for, or that would work on, this car, whether bolt-on or clip-on. It is not a popular mod here.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
That secondary I mid thing is freaking sweet. Nice work.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
lot of work and thought went into your mods. good...no, great job.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, everyone! And yes, I'm sure that those Knight Rider lights are quite illegal to have on while driving. I only use them for show in a parking lot.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thanks for letting me know about the pics in the second post. It was weird -- the pictures seemed to load and display, but then they were replaced with that "ATTACHMENT" text. I thought that it was just a limitation due to the number of pics I loaded, but I guess they somehow got deleted. They should be there now, and I also added a picture of DRL and fog/driving light switches.

I see the pics now, thanks for fixing it. I always hated the DRL yellow light look on my 15 civic and thinking about buying LED or different bulb for it or maybe even take out the fuse to turn it off. Im never particularly mechanically inclined on electrical stuff so I always try to avoid those unless I have to but props to you! I can tell that you're spending quality times on those.

A spaceship is exactly one of the inspirations! I'll have to post pics of previous cars I've modified in another section of the forum. The brightness of the lighting is not adjustable, but everything is being designed to be able to be switched off if it gets too distracting on a long night drive. One of the buttons on the overhead console is for turning off all of the non-essential lighting (such as labels for switches) while still keeping the actual accessories powered up so they can still be used.

Lol I knew you're going for that spaceship themed. Please do, we love pics!

I have no engine mod plans. I'm not much of a "speed freak", so stock is fine with me. Plus, I have a warranty on the car (and while it would look like all that I've done so far would give the underwriter a fit, remember that I have tapped into absolutly no engine/computer circuits) and I also want the car to last as long as possible. This is only the 3rd car I've bought in as many decades, and the 8th one in my life -- I generally just regularly modify and enhance my existing car instead of trading in every few years.

Yes thats me and you both on "speed freak", I had plenty of fun on my previous cars that I modded 96 civic hatchback and 02 acura rsx-s. I'm planning to keep my civic stock (engine wise) as well and possible some minor exterior modifications

No real plans for the wheels, either, though I might want to put more "custom" hubcaps on it. I know the ones that came with it are bolted on with the lug nuts. Is it possible to remove those hubcaps (by unbolting them and then bolting just the wheels back on without the hubcaps) and install conventional snap-on style hubcaps?

Just like @scottyrocks said the hubcaps that we have are clip on, maybe check on Ebay for options?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts