9th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some beginner mods to gain some performance to my SI Sedan 2012. Really not sure where to begin for a new guy trying to get into this. Any suggestions will be great!

·
Registered
741 Posts
downpipe and flashpro for power mods

swaybar, coilovers for suspension

Reactions: Beeshabo

·
Photoshop Masta
2,934 Posts
If it's bone stock, then you should DEFINITELY lower it first, that's my opinion.

As 15WhiteSi said, that's a good start for performance.

Also, maybe a short shifter, and possibly replace the detent springs for a much notchier feel when shifting. I did both to my 12 Si and it completely enhanced the shifting experience.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If it's bone stock, then you should DEFINITELY lower it first, that's my opinion.

As 15WhiteSi said, that's a good start for performance.

Also, maybe a short shifter, and possibly replace the detent springs for a much notchier feel when shifting. I did both to my 12 Si and it completely enhanced the shifting experience.
It is bone stock but I drive it as my daily driver during the winter season so lowering it wouldnt be the best option due to my location. Regarding the short shifter, how difficult is it to go ahead and work on this as a new guy to this type of stuff.
Do you have any recommendations for these types of parts? I wouldnt know where to even begin looking as im sure there are a lot of websites.

·
Photoshop Masta
2,934 Posts
It is bone stock but I drive it as my daily driver during the winter season so lowering it wouldnt be the best option due to my location. Regarding the short shifter, how difficult is it to go ahead and work on this as a new guy to this type of stuff.
Do you have any recommendations for these types of parts? I wouldnt know where to even begin looking as im sure there are a lot of websites.
Oh okay, gotcha!

This is the short shifter I have: Racing-spec-shifter | Racing | BuddyClub USA

Honestly, it's a pretty straight forward install. It's a 'remove & replace' mod, here's a tutorial:

It took me about 1.5 hours, would've been quicker but I dropped a socket in there and had to go to an auto parts store to buy a magnetic retrieval tool lol so have one handy in case.

These are the detent springs I have: Hybrid Racing Heavy-Duty Honda Transmission Detent Springs

and here's the tutorial I used:

Again, very straight forward, just need a little elbow grease or a breaker bar to make it easier, some bolts are on there pretty good. Very inexpensive mod. This took me about an hour to do.

I honestly urge you to learn how to do this kinda stuff. This forum is full of very useful info. Just search up tutorials first and see whether or not you feel comfortable doing it. Overall, these Hondas are very easy to work on.

·
I Need A Vacation
13,984 Posts
What are some beginner mods to gain some performance to my SI Sedan 2012. Really not sure where to begin for a new guy trying to get into this. Any suggestions will be great!
Start with tires that will be the best mod you can do to your car it will enhance both your performance and safety at the same time.

·
Registered
2012 CBP FG4
514 Posts
If you're planning on doing any power mods, then keep your eye out for a FlashPro. Either used, or on sale as you'll 100% need it for any power mods.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh okay, gotcha!

This is the short shifter I have: Racing-spec-shifter | Racing | BuddyClub USA

Honestly, it's a pretty straight forward install. It's a 'remove & replace' mod, here's a tutorial:

It took me about 1.5 hours, would've been quicker but I dropped a socket in there and had to go to an auto parts store to buy a magnetic retrieval tool lol so have one handy in case.

These are the detent springs I have: Hybrid Racing Heavy-Duty Honda Transmission Detent Springs

and here's the tutorial I used:

Again, very straight forward, just need a little elbow grease or a breaker bar to make it easier, some bolts are on there pretty good. Very inexpensive mod. This took me about an hour to do.

I honestly urge you to learn how to do this kinda stuff. This forum is full of very useful info. Just search up tutorials first and see whether or not you feel comfortable doing it. Overall, these Hondas are very easy to work on.
awesome thank you for all this information! I'll definitely look into this because I always wanted to see if I can do this.

·
Registered
2015 TW FB6
58 Posts
Check out Acuity Instruments. Their short shifter and bushings are a great upgrade. They also have really good instructions and videos on how to install.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Start with tires that will be the best mod you can do to your car it will enhance both your performance and safety at the same time.
what type of tires do you recommend? I'm currently located in Ohio so I use all season tires which have worked great so far, but I noticed that the current tires that I have which are 215/45ZR17 produce a lot of noise. When I'm driving on the freeway it is so loud inside that usually I have to raise the volume of my music. I think this is because these tires are performance? not sure though. I might be going to just standard all-season tires just to reduce that noise inside the car when driving. That probably means I will also have to change my wheels, because the ones I currently have are not stock. I got them a while back so I dont remember the specs for this.

·
Registered
FG4/FB6
13 Posts
A nice gentleman had posted this over Reddit long ago so I took it and modified it with the brands I would like to get but I thought this could be a good starter list, I am planning to get all of these (a few already I have, like the tires)

Honda Civic Si Modifications List

ECU Tuner (Hondata)
- to get everything started. You might get away with “plug and play” on some mods, but not all. Will need regardless of FBO or FI.
Downpipe (Full Race) and Motor mounts (Hasport)- stock downpipe is very restrictive. Upgrading downpipe and tuning yields biggest gains that is not FI. Rear motor mount should give extra insurance of the downpipe not cracking.
RBC manifold - metal instead of stock plastic, but will lose power down low in exchange for power up top. Good for NA and FI. Can add bigger throttle body here.
Intake (Acuity) - bigger tubed intakes will add minor power gains and will require a tune. Anything that’s stock size isn’t worth it unless you like the way it sounds. If using different throttle body, please be sure intake can hook up to throttle body.
Exhaust (Full Race)- mainly for sound purposes. Little to no power gains. Shouldn’t need a tune.
Suspension (TEIN Flex Z or TEIN Endurapro Shocks+S.Tech Lowering Springs)- get a set of good coilovers and whatever camber parts needed. Handling is decent already but couldn’t hurt from some extra modifications. Be sure to get an alignment after ASAP.
Tires (Michelin Pilot Sport 4S)- stock tires are meh. Better options out there, whether for all season or summers.
Wheels (Enkei Vulcan/PX-10)- if you got the money, definitely look into lighter wheels. Stock wheels are like 25 pounds a piece...yikes...
Shifter bushings and short shifter (Acuity)- makes rowing gears so much more fun! Smooth.
Retrofit Headlights (?)- don’t be that blinding jerk that puts HIDs in reflectors.
Brake Kit (?)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts