9th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there,

My belt tensioner is rattling but the pulley seems fine. I took the belt off and it spins nice and smooth.
The assembly however wiggles around left, right, up and down.

Is it a loose bolt I can just tighten? I don't really want to spend 200 on a whole assembly, and I hear aftermarket is garbage.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Didnt you already have a thread on this? Did you replace the tensioner?
I believe you have the r18 with the hydraulic tensioner, right. If it has failed you will see it moving around while belt is on.
It can be a tough job, the Allen head bolt is hard to get to and is usually super tight. Plenty of youtube videos detailing the process.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Didnt you already have a thread on this? Did you replace the tensioner?
I believe you have the r18 with the hydraulic tensioner, right. If it has failed you will see it moving around while belt is on.
It can be a tough job, the Allen head bolt is hard to get to and is usually super tight. Plenty of youtube videos detailing the process.
Hey, thanks for getting back to me.
Yeah it is the R18 with the hydraulic tensioner.

The other thread was about IDing the problem. This one is about solving it.

I haven't replaced it yet. I wanted to know if it could be a loose bolt under the water pump pulley, or if it was a faulty spring/damp mechanism.
I'm not worried about the job so much -- it looks straightforward -- but I want to know whether the assembly DOES have to be replaced.

It doesn't visibly move around with the belt on, but it does wiggle without the belt.
When the engine and belt are running, if I apply some tension with the wrench, the vibrating noise goes away.

Pulley is fine.

Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts