9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In response to the thread that was started on the worst cars Honda ever built, I thought this "best of" thread was a good timing. I'll start with my own choices (the easy ones):

S2000, they nailed it the first time. Nothing really comes in mind to compete with that car in it's category.

1392785264534.jpg

NSX, for the technological marvel that it is. That car was a game changer for the supercar world.

1392785309036.jpg

6th and 8th gen Civic, those two generations pushed the entire car industry to rethink what they were offering. Those were cars that made the competition just look plain old and wrong.

1392785294706.jpg
1392785474429.jpg

CRX, this car was already a little old when I started to own a car, but an entire generation of people still smile when they see one on the street. They made small econobox for the masses fun to drive.

1392785352550.jpg

Acura Integra, IMO this is what saved Acura and is the single reason why people started to see this brand as interesting and sporty (NSX was too exclusive to have that impact). I feel it's been too long since they had something like it and the brand is getting back to where it was before this car came out.

1392785380043.jpg

9th gen SI because I own one! Honestly a very good car but not a game changer by any means. I don't think this generation of Civic has a big impact on other manufacturers as to how they design their products. In fact I can't think about any gas powered cars that have that effect right now.

1392785467065.jpg

That's my short list, I'm sure there are plenty more!

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,092 Posts
The OP's list is a good one.

But I'll add:

the original Civic. This car changed my perception of what a small car should be. In the late '70s I got into one that belonged to a friend's mom. The cabin and dash arrangements were world's ahead of my '71 Corolla, never mind my Dad's claustrophobic '71 Beetle. The Civic even felt bigger inside than my Mom's '73 Malibu.

The 1st gen Civic had a dash layout that was the start of 'cab-forward' design, that wasn't in vogue for another 10 years, picked up by Chrysler when Lee Iacocca was in charge. The top part of the dash was pulled forward and away from the driver, resulting in a feeling of spaciousness uncommon in small cars.

Honda abandoned it with the 2nd gen Civic (I had one, an '81), and didn't bring it back into full swing until the 8th gen premiered for the 2006 model year. But the '73 Civic did it first.

Early Corolla dash:

Beetle dash:

It should be pretty obvious from these photos the differences in actual and perceived space in these three cars.

·
Registered
283 Posts
In response to the thread that was started on the worst cars Honda ever built, I thought this "best of" thread was a good timing. I'll start with my own choices (the easy ones):

S2000, they nailed it the first time. Nothing really comes in mind to compete with that car in it's category.

View attachment 154666

NSX, for the technological marvel that it is. That car was a game changer for the supercar world.

View attachment 154682

6th and 8th gen Civic, those two generations pushed the entire car industry to rethink what they were offering. Those were cars that made the competition just look plain old and wrong.

View attachment 154674
View attachment 154714

CRX, this car was already a little old when I started to own a car, but an entire generation of people still smile when they see one on the street. They made small econobox for the masses fun to drive.

View attachment 154690

Acura Integra, IMO this is what saved Acura and is the single reason why people started to see this brand as interesting and sporty (NSX was too exclusive to have that impact). I feel it's been too long since they had something like it and the brand is getting back to where it was before this car came out.

View attachment 154698

9th gen SI because I own one! Honestly a very good car but not a game changer by any means. I don't think this generation of Civic has a big impact on other manufacturers as to how they design their products. In fact I can't think about any gas powered cars that have that effect right now.

View attachment 154706

That's my short list, I'm sure there are plenty more!
well said! AGREED!!

perso, my 06 civic coupe R18 5spd stick was rock solid .. and that was most definitely a game changer and with a head turning look, the true civic of a new generation .... now the 9th Si evolves and bring more torque and features than any civic has ever had, i welcome it! but no game changer ...

lets not forget PRELUDES!!! ... sadly not being produced anymore ... what might serve as a mild replacement; a '13 accord coupe HFP is i believe worthy of mention on the 'best of' list.

and how about the CR-Z for being the first and only hybrid available with a manual transmission ... ok ok .. maybe not type R awesome ... but don't the future looks less scary knowing honda builds hybrid with manual tranys no!?

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Great list, and I'll add one out of left field, Accords from the mid to late 80's. They have to be the most reliable, trouble free cars ever made.
I know people that put 300-400 hundred thousand miles on them with very little issues, my buddy had 435k miles on his 89 Accord before the transmission finally died. It had the original clutch and didn't burn a drop of oil, only major repair was new injectors at 200k miles.

·
Registered
120 Posts
My dad had a 6th gen Si in electron blue pearl and I think that subconsciously played a huge role in why I ended up with a DBP Si. Out of all the cars he owned that one was the most exciting to me as a kid.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,092 Posts
^Looks like the original Accord.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Great list. I don't know about the 6th gen Civic, but I agree the 8th gen Civic was a game changer. I drooled everytime I saw an 8th gen Si and wished it was mine. 9th Si isn't the game changer the 8th gen was, but I think they took the 8th and made it better.

I'll add some more to the list -

3rd Gen TL

Possibly 2015 Acura TLX, pending performance specs

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,092 Posts

·
I Need A Vacation
13,117 Posts
'89 Accord LX-i
'90 Legend Acura has lost it's way since then; when will the "LEGEND" return?
First and second gen Acura Legends were game changers IMO, made the Europeans look seriously at the Japanese being serious players in the luxury market.

·
Registered
174 Posts
IMO the 4th and 5th gen Accords were what put Honda on the map in the US market.

Also nothing really came close to the Acura Legend coupes in the mid 90s. Those cars were smooth.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I am a little biased, my first Honda ever(second car) was a '95 EX coupe manual trans. I kept that car from the time I was 16 until I was 23 and I owned 6 other cars during that time. My coupe was always my baby though.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Another one nobody has mentioned is the Ridgeline. Damn fine truck, just wished Honda would have put some super kick ass DOHC V8 in it. Don't know if that counts since it's not a 'car', but it is a fine piece of work from Honda.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Another one nobody has mentioned is the Ridgeline. Damn fine truck, just wished Honda would have put some super kick ass DOHC V8 in it. Don't know if that counts since it's not a 'car', but it is a fine piece of work from Honda.
I don't know. I'm still on the fence about it. Don't know if it should be in the Best or Worst Cars Honda ever built thread. I'm sure it's a good car/truck but honestly if I was in the market for a light truck I would look at the Tundra or even the new F150 before I look at the Ridgeline. Also the fact that it shares the platform with my Odyssey doesn't sit well with me as a 'truck'.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts