9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! Just got a 2012 Civic LX Coupe and I'm itching to do some audio upgrades. In my old car I had upgraded Alpine Type S speakers which I was happy with, powered by an Alpine amp and one of their top of the line head units (forgot the model). I also had a 12" Rockford Fosgate sub powered by its own amp. Not the most amazing setup but I liked it.

I do like the stock head unit setup in the Civic and I dont want to lose the ability to use the upper display, although is there any way to swap out the head unit and still use it for stuff like wallpaper, gas mileage, etc?

My goal is to just get a better quality sound. For now I don't need a sub, I'm thinking about just upgrading the speakers. I'm not too knowledgeable when it comes to car audio but Ive done some basic installs on previous cars. What do you guys think would be a good starting point? Would it be a good idea to just upgrade the front and rear speakers or would it be a waste of money without an amp/head unit/sub?

Any suggestions would be great. I'm just looking to get a more clear sounding stereo, but I'm open to ideas.

·
Registered
241 Posts
for upgrading the headunit, from what I've been reading you'll only lose the screen that shows the music on your iMID. All the other screens still work just fine.

As for the internals, you'll definitely need to get an amp if you're going aftermarket on those. The head unit and stock amp (if you have premium) aren't powerful enough to support aftermarket speakers to their full potential. I'd recommend starting at the back and moving your way to the front. Some people say start from the front and move your way back because that is what you hear first, but I prefer to upgrade my rears/mids first before upgrading my tweets, just a personal preference.

Upgrading the speakers won't be a waste of money without upgrading the head unit and/or adding a sub. I plan on keeping the stock head unit until someone comes up with a feasible solution that keeps 100% of the iMID functionality in-tact with a quality aftermarket headunit. I like the iMID combined with the factory head unit and don't want to lose that ability. My plan is the amp/sub in the trunk, some dynamat in strategic places inside the car, upgrade my deck and possibly build a small enclosure for the 8" sub, then continue moving forward in the vehicle's speakers until I'm done upgrading them all :) This'll be a process over several years I'm sure, due to having 3+ kids and a wife to support on my military income, but I'll get there eventually :) Luckily I'm able to move my old amp/sub from my prior vehicle to this one, so no worries there. Just waiting on the damn wires to show up--I hate military APO shipping.

Anyways, there's several tutorials in the DIY section on how to do all the upgrades and such, so I'd say sift through those and if you're willing to do it all yourself then go for it and buy the speakers. If you don't want to dive in on your own, then go to a few car audio shops and see if they have a good deals going on with installation included in the price...sometimes the deals for them to professionally install things are the same or cheaper than what we can buy just the parts for online so definitely worth a look. Good luck!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Jonny

Filpovich has some great input there. I have an LX sedan and I'm considering the same thing. What you do really depends on what you want and what you want to spend. I've been reading some other posts and I must say I'm a bit disappointed at my options for partial upgrades. I have the 160w 4 speaker system and the head unit has been "tuned" to my LX Sedan. From what I understand, the frequency response is not even close to flat as you had with your old system. Not sure why they did this but it limits the benefit of just replacing speakers.

You said you liked the head unit. I like the controls, but that's about it. I was reading that 82801BA is looking to use the HU out of a premium unit to get OEM control and aftermarket sound. http://www.9thgencivic.com/forum/au...premium-audio-aftermarket-amp.html#post109422 I may follow this path down the line. If what you like is the wheel controls, there is a module that lets you control (without the IMID visual) many HUs. As stated, you don't lose the other IMID readouts.

I plan to take an incremental approach and replace the 4 speakers with JBL GTO628's first. Amazon.com: JBL GTO628 6.5-Inch 2-Way Loudspeaker: Electronics I expect this will make an improvement and are pretty reasonable @$42. They're pretty sensitive so the lower power of my head unit won't be too big an issue. Down the road, I may upgrade the head unit and possibly add an amp. I'd also get the steering wheel control adaptor module. I don't know that I'd ever add a sub as 4 - 6.5" speaker in a small cabin can produce reasonable bass for my taste.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts