9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just wanted to share a recent experience I had with purchasing something from PasswordJDM.

IMG_2932.PNG

and the invoice

IMG_2930.jpg

Essentially, the intake was listed as $325. With their 10% off coupon it took $32.50 off, and then shipping added most of that back for total of $322.80.

Add $85 to the total, and you get $407.80

I get that they were surprised that they would make no money on the intake sold at their listed price, but to add that much to turn a massive profit?!?! I feel like I just took a course in school called "Crappy Business Dealings 101".

Mind you, I've cancelled my order with them, and bought it on Ebay instead for $346.99.

I get that mistakes happen, but to put that burden on your customer is just bad business. They should have eaten the loss/neutral transaction in order to get praise and good reviews from a customer. Now I've had to waste time typing up this negative review, and you readers have wasted your time reading it.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,091 Posts
Seeing that they informed you before you paid and before they sent you the product, I don't think you have much to complain about.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe I'm being too hyper, Scotty. It just put a bad taste in my mouth. My wife agreed with my thoughts about it.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,091 Posts
True, it wasn't the ideal situation, but it could've been worse. They could have sent you the item and billed you the extra $85, gambling that you might be the type to not bother to send it back because you wanted one, have it in hand, and will now just use it.

But should they have honored the advertised price? Yes, until they change all the advertising for it.

But in no way did you get screwed (not that you said that).

And the only reason I responded initially is because the word 'beware,' imho, carries pretty strong connotations.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I agree with you Civi9. You honor the price that was given to a customer. It is great customer service practice. For example, you go to the local store and see the cost of the item on the shelf. You take it to the register and they tell you I am sorry but it was been a increase in price of the item and we can't honor the cost of the item posted on the shelf. Basically everyone I know will be mad as h*ll and demand management give them the price listed on the shelf. It is the same thing with online sites. This also can be called "bait and switch" and is very bad business practice.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Maybe I'm being too hyper, Scotty. It just put a bad taste in my mouth. My wife agreed with my thoughts about it.
Thanks for the warning.
However:
  • You were warned.
  • You were able to, and did, cancel the order.
  • You were not harmed financially.
Aside from hurt feeling and the reported "bad taste in your mouth" (not sure what to think about that comment.)
Appears there was no harm no foul by the seller, as they were completely up front with you.

Again, thanks for taking the time to warn others...

·
Registered
846 Posts
I think this is worse than a bait and switch. At least with a bait and switch you can back out before you pay anything. PWJDM just tried to retroactively charge 25% more AFTER the purchase, which IMO is almost cartoonishly childish. Reminds me of when Homer Simpson was charging people $5 to ride an elephant in his yard but then when he realized that didn't cover his expenses he went around demanding everyone who paid $5 to pay his new pricing which was $500 a ride.

EDIT: Im really surprised how much slack people are willing to cut PWJDM simply because they didn't outright rob him. Obviously they could have handled it much worse but to sell something for one price and then come back later and say "turns out i want more money, price has gone up 25%" is a characteristic I'd want to avoid when doing business. I have a feeling that people would be less forgiving if this was done by a dealership rather than an established and liked parts company.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Aside from hurt feeling and the reported "bad taste in your mouth" (not sure what to think about that comment.)
It just gives me a negative feeling towards PasswordJDM regarding their business decisions. Emotions aside, it's just bad business.

They should have just given me the price as advertised, and considered it a favor that I clued them into the mistake on their website. I probably saved them from making this mistake with other orders.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh, and yes; they billed my Paypal for the original $322 before notifying me. So now my wife is on my tail about getting that back. LOL...

·
Registered
685 Posts
I'm with Civi9 on this. That's pretty screwed up. Thanks for letting the public know about their dishonest business dealings. Regardless of demand, they should honor their own prices and not hike them up because there's been a price increase for them. Granted they did forewarn you...however, why even have a sale if they're going to charge you more than they normally would?

·
I Need A Vacation
13,117 Posts
I'm sure PWDJDM has some sort of disclaimer that allows them to cancel any transaction at their discretion which is their right however doing something like that definitely leaves any customer unsatisfied and probably lost their business for good not to mention the bad word of mouth for their business.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,091 Posts
For me, stuff like this is problem after they take my money. Before that, I can use my own judgment as to whether I'll give a vendor another try.

·
Registered
53 Posts
This has happened to me as well when I was purchasing a set of coilovers from them. There was a discount code given for 10% off the base price, but come to find out they called and notified me hours after paying that the price was increased. I did have the option of cancelling the order. The price on the coilover was the same as any other site offering the product but the difference was the 10% discount. They told me that in order for them to make money on the coilovers then they increased the price. The point here is that they falsely advertised the products price and notify of a price increase. It's just bad business, but nothing too major since they did notify me and had the option to cancel.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I agree with you and didnt find it that much of an issue since I had the option to cancel my order and I would still do business with this vendor.
The difference in my case was that they didn't want what other vendors were asking, they wanted $60 more than other vendors. They went from the cheapest price on the internet to the most expensive....

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,091 Posts
I also want to thank Civi9 for alerting us to this unusualness.

·
Registered
429 Posts
This all seems super sketchy. I'm sure PWJDM is a dropshipper, but if you can't keep current on your vendors' prices, you shouldn't be advertising sales on them. Sure, they let you cancel the order, but it's definitely a case of putting the customer second.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts