9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey so i'm a bit confused. is it 100% ok to blacken out the headlight/taillight housing in california? i hear tinting it is illegal and i've heard people blackening them out. is blackening out pretty much baking the housing?

·
Blues Clues
1,002 Posts
some people like to spray paint the housing black while others like to put vinyl over it using the same material as window tints. i think blackening out is just getting the lights to a straight-up solid black look. in California, tinting your lights is illegal, especially the tail lights. Your brake lights may become less visible creating a hazard. I do remember reading somewhere that they are illegal but to an extent. something about how if your brake lights are fully visible within a certain amount of feet then you're fine. there's also been some talk about how the reflectors inside the lights still have to be able to reflect. I see a lot of people getting away with it but i wouldn't get them super dark, you're just asking for trouble.

im curious if anybody here has ever been pulled over for smoked/blacked out tail lights. i was really thinking about blacking out my tail lights at one point.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts