9th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 lx 5 speed and I’m looking to start touching my engine bay a bit with some bolt ons and a tune. Ik catless is the way to go but other then that would you guys recommend a CAI or a short ram? Also other then intake and exhaust what other minor mods would you guys recommend?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Before you start do your research. Consensus is R18 is an excellent economy engine but doesn't respond well to mods so keep your expectations in check.
Yes Ik I’m not going to get much out of it but I’ve done so many other driver/handling mods already that I want to at least touch the engine and get a tune so that it doesn’t seem as slow

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Cold air intake if you're not worried about water. Short ram if you are. If you go short ram get something with a sealed filter to avoid heat soak. Catless downpipe will net the most gains, exhaust doesn't matter that much. You will spend like 2.5k for 10 hp.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cold air intake if you're not worried about water. Short ram if you are. If you go short ram get something with a sealed filter to avoid heat soak. Catless downpipe will net the most gains, exhaust doesn't matter that much. You will spend like 2.5k for 10 hp.
Is there a difference in the power out put between a short ram and a CIA? And I heard somewhere that the si injectors are plug and play with our cars is that true?

·
Registered
557 Posts
Is there a difference in the power out put between a short ram and a CIA? And I heard somewhere that the si injectors are plug and play with our cars is that true?
Not enough that you'll notice.

You won't make anywhere near enough power to need those injectors.

·
Registered
Supercharged 2014 Fb6
42 Posts
I am curious, if you could entertain me Bryant. How big of a worry is sucking air into a CAI, really?
I've never had an issue, and if I'm not mistaken aren't the filters oiled? So as long as you aren't submerging it should be fine?
Our cars do a pretty good job at keeping standard rain and snow out of the engine bay... but puddle hopping sure could let some water in.
I also have way less experience than most here, so I figured this would be an ok place to clear this up?

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I am curious, if you could entertain me Bryant. How big of a worry is sucking air into a CAI, really?
I've never had an issue, and if I'm not mistaken aren't the filters oiled? So as long as you aren't submerging it should be fine?
Our cars do a pretty good job at keeping standard rain and snow out of the engine bay... but puddle hopping sure could let some water in.
I also have way less experience than most here, so I figured this would be an ok place to clear this up?
Whoa whoa whoa, lets not be using government names here on the internet.

Sucking water into a cold air is dependant on where you live. Personally here in Dallas I have hydrolocked two motors on two separate vehicles. Both times I was able to pull over and fix things, but it was not a pleasant experience. As many people know the weather in Texas can be unpredictable and at this point in my life it's not something I care to risk.

·
Registered
Supercharged 2014 Fb6
42 Posts
Whoa whoa whoa, lets not be using government names here on the internet.

Sucking water into a cold air is dependant on where you live. Personally here in Dallas I have hydrolocked two motors on two separate vehicles. Both times I was able to pull over and fix things, but it was not a pleasant experience. As many people know the weather in Texas can be unpredictable and at this point in my life it's not something I care to risk.
Lol, my bad bfaided1984.
I've never had an issue in Michigan (I'd say as unpredictable as Texas just an average of 30 -50 degrees colder...and I mean that for summer and winter, lol.), but our drainage is pretty on point.
So when you hydrolocked did you go through a substantial amount of unavoidable standing water, was it a large splash, or what? I'm wondering if a hydroshield is worth it.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Lol, my bad bfaided1984.
I've never had an issue in Michigan (I'd say as unpredictable as Texas just an average of 30 -50 degrees colder...and I mean that for summer and winter, lol.), but our drainage is pretty on point.
So when you hydrolocked did you go through a substantial amount of unavoidable standing water, was it a large splash, or what? I'm wondering if a hydroshield is worth it.
One time I went through a giant puddle that was against my better judgment, the other time it had been raining for like a week and it just couldn't take anymore.

·
Registered
Supercharged 2014 Fb6
42 Posts
One time I went through a giant puddle that was against my better judgment, the other time it had been raining for like a week and it just couldn't take anymore.
Ok. That backstory makes me feel better. My car is Garaged 99% of the time it isn't being driven. And honestly the Kraftwerks kit CAI doesn't sit as low as most true CAIs.
Will be avoiding puddles for sure though. Thanks for the info.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts