9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to boost my 9th gen Si for a fun daily, I looked at the Prl Turbo kit and the CTE kit and I really wanted the Stage 1 Prl turbo kit. I live in California and I have to smog my car, how hard is it to take off the turbo kit and put on stock stuff. For the Prl install do I have to move the motor, for my downpipe there was not a lot of room to tighten bolts, and if so is it a nightmare to get it into a position to take out the turbo then put it in. Looking at the CTE kit and it looks fairly easy to take on and off for smog. Is there another way to smog my car without removing anything?

Thanks, sorry if this question is stupid I am unexperienced and 16.

·
Registered
480 Posts
To attach the turbo, you have to remove the subframe, and cowl under the windshield. Once those are off, there's plenty of room.

If you have to smog every year, in my mind it's not feasible to remove this once a year. At minimum, you'll have issues with damaging your turbo oil drain in the pan, unless you weld a bung on your pan and find a cap for the fitting.
CTE is no longer made, and don't come up for sale very often. There is another twin screw supercharger offered (bigger, more room to grow) that would be my pick in your instance. There's also the centrifugal one offered, but it doesn't give alot of head room to grow into it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there a way I could run oem tune and disconnect the intake, put the OEM one on, weld in a catyoitic converter, mess with defoulders and not remove turbo?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Is there a way I could run oem tune and disconnect the intake, put the OEM one on, weld in a catyoitic converter, mess with defoulders and not remove turbo?
Just reread what you are asking. I think you probably know the answer.

I know you are young and excited about your car but what are the chances you even turbo the car at all? You are trying to solve a problem you will likely never have.

Not many 16 year olds that I know even have an Si much less have a $5-$10k in aftermarket turbo mods.

All of that said, a supercharger would be much easier to swap out versus turbo. It's all on the front of the motor, you barely even have to get under the car.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Just reread what you are asking. I think you probably know the answer.

I know you are young and excited about your car but what are the chances you even turbo the car at all? You are trying to solve a problem you will likely never have.

Not many 16 year olds that I know even have an Si much less have a $5-$10k in aftermarket turbo mods.

All of that said, a supercharger would be much easier to swap out versus turbo. It's all on the front of the motor, you barely even have to get under the car.

I started to flip cars and do basic mods am close to my goal of turboing the car. How much do you think I could get a used cte kit for?

·
Registered
480 Posts
This is something, you would have to look into yourself. If you leave the turbo, and remove the plumbing to intake, there could be a issue, my guess it depends on size. Once you remove your plumbing to intake, your turbo is no longer compressing air, and can freely spin fast enough to damage itself.
Again, this is a risk I've read, I expect this to be dependant on size, but have no knowledge on it.
The Cat doesn't need defoulers if it's working. The reason why after market downpipes (with cats) require defoulers, is because the cat is behind the 2nd 0² sensor.
I'm not saying this stuff can't be done, i'm positive it can, but difficult things typically cost more time and $$$. You need to research the turbo overspin issue outside this forum. This forum may shed insight into smog tests and downpipes/defoulers/cats.

Now, I know your younger. A turbo by itself is cheap. A turbo kit is pretty reasonable. But the extras add up pretty fast. Beyond 300-350HP, your likely going to need new gears in the transmission, Gear X 1-4 is the cheapest I seen.
Ive got a build thread on my car, Full race kit that I installed myself. I suggest you read through it, search for "turbo tips needed".

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is something, you would have to look into yourself. If you leave the turbo, and remove the plumbing to intake, there could be a issue, my guess it depends on size. Once you remove your plumbing to intake, your turbo is no longer compressing air, and can freely spin fast enough to damage itself.
Again, this is a risk I've read, I expect this to be dependant on size, but have no knowledge on it.
The Cat doesn't need defoulers if it's working. The reason why after market downpipes (with cats) require defoulers, is because the cat is behind the 2nd 0² sensor.
I'm not saying this stuff can't be done, i'm positive it can, but difficult things typically cost more time and $$$. You need to research the turbo overspin issue outside this forum. This forum may shed insight into smog tests and downpipes/defoulers/cats.

Now, I know your younger. A turbo by itself is cheap. A turbo kit is pretty reasonable. But the extras add up pretty fast. Beyond 300-350HP, your likely going to need new gears in the transmission, Gear X 1-4 is the cheapest I seen.
Ive got a build thread on my car, Full race kit that I installed myself. I suggest you read through it, search for "turbo tips needed".
Youv've got a sick build, I looked it up, remove the wastegate spring and it wont overboost. I just want 290-300hp for now just to have a fun daily, the full race kit seems a bit expensive, the prl kit with fuel pump, injectors, 5862 journal bearing is $3718. With no wastegate, it would be a little loud, but I might be able to pass. Ty for help.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Used CTE kits go for like $2-3k depending on aftercooler.

Good luck going to smog with no wastegate spring, that giant exhaust leak won't tip them off...

Honestly, go for it man. If you are motivated to swap stuff back for smog, who are we to tell you differently.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I want to boost my 9th gen Si for a fun daily, I looked at the Prl Turbo kit and the CTE kit and I really wanted the Stage 1 Prl turbo kit. I live in California and I have to smog my car, how hard is it to take off the turbo kit and put on stock stuff. For the Prl install do I have to move the motor, for my downpipe there was not a lot of room to tighten bolts, and if so is it a nightmare to get it into a position to take out the turbo then put it in. Looking at the CTE kit and it looks fairly easy to take on and off for smog. Is there another way to smog my car without removing anything?

Thanks, sorry if this question is stupid I am unexperienced and 16.
Youre always going to have to swap back your original parts and get your computer reflashed with a Honda file, every time you have to smog.
(If you dont reflash the PCM at Honda or a Honda repair shop,you will "data-check" fail the smog.)

·
Registered
480 Posts
I agree with this 100%. Trying to not remove a turbo, unhooking plumbing, running a open wastegate, etc. That's alot of work for a turbo vs unbolting a supercharger, bolting on stock intake, and loading a stock tune.
The benefits of a supercharger, is it's far easier to install and remove, and cheaper. Also, immediate boost, and a fantastic sound. If I knew of the Merc Racing setup existed, I'd probably have that over my turbo setup.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts