9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Please note...do not apply brakes too fast, Brake Assist engages in our Civics...slow hard application ftw.

After some nudging from Digger, here's the merged version of the pad bedding procedure that I posted on the PoPCrew thread. Mods, please sticky...

DO NOT DO THIS WITH BRAND NEW PADS. Let them run in a bit, 100mile (200Km) or so of normal braking.

This is not exact science, YMMV.

1. Make sure your brakes (and vehicle) are in good shape before attempting.
2. Do not do this with cold brakes, a couple of light stops will warm them up.
3. Do not do this in the rain or slippery surfaces (gravel road).
4. Make sure you don't have to be anywhere, this can take up to a half hour.
5. If fade becomes too great, stop the cycles and try again another day. Make sure you let your brakes cool off before stopping the vehicle.
6. Find where the abs kicks in. You want to be braking just before it kicks in.
7. Yes, these are all very hard stops, batten down the hatches! You dont want stuff flying all over the place.
8. Make sure no other traffic around.
9. Try not to come to a complete stop until the brakes have cooled off.

Procedure

Make 6 (Rear drum cars) to 8 (Si/4 wheel disc cars) hard stops (at impending abs) from 60mph to 15mph or so, do not come to a complete stop. Accelerate (moderately, no need to floor it, you want a tiny bit of cool down here) back to 60mph, brake and so on. Complete the cycles. A lot of it depends on the fade resistance of the brakes. If they start to go away too much I increase the cooling times between braking. After the last cycle, I let the brakes cool for at least 10 minutes (while driving). The worst thing u can do during this process is come to a complete stop...pad material will stick to the rotors in one spot. The whole point of this excersize is to bed pad material into the rotor surface evenly. This often cures what people think is "warped" rotors. This process increases the friction between pad and rotor for more effective braking. Find a lonely back road to do this and you dont need to be anywhere....takes about 30min total with cooldown time. I usually only need to do this a couple of times a year.

Things to note

The brake may smoke during this sequence. This is normal, just make sure it's not excessive.
You may smell the the brakes, again, normal.
Do not do this at higher speeds, you WILL over heat the brakes. This procedure is not about applying the most heat you can into the brakes.
Only repeat the procedure when you notice a loss of braking performance or vibrations. I usually end up doing it a couple of times a year.

...the tech, link provided by SteveSRT8 at bitog.

http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
...lol, dont mind the surface rust on the rotors...aftermarket shee rusts up here in the great white north.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome to hear Digger! You wont need to do another cycle for several months. I wait till I notice different pedal feel, decrease in performance or any vibration. I usually can tell by pedal feel.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Thanks for the info, off to the desert to try this!

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Skrub, how quickly are you applying the brake pedal? If application is too quick, Brake Assist will kick in and not give you the control needed.

·
that cranky admin
6,077 Posts
Hey Skrub, how quickly are you applying the brake pedal? If application is too quick, Brake Assist will kick in and not give you the control needed.
maybe that is what it is... i've tried everything from slamming it to braking hard. When I just brake hard the wobble gets a lot worse.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Try slow hard applications of brake pedal. It can take a couple of stops to dial it in. Slamming the brakes on should be avoided.

I had the same issue with my Si. Stupid brake assist...scared the crap outta me once in traffic...

·
Registered
39 Posts
I did this last night out on a deserted country road. It's very effective, the brake fade onset doesn't happen quite as quickly;

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
Gotch, What are your thoughts about going backwards and pressing on the brake firmly but not at high speed? I do that at least once a month and it seems to help a little too. Or am I adjust the rear brakes on the R18?

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Harder applications will help clean up the brakes, so ya, it helps. Pad transfer happens at higher temps so u may be getting close. If your brakes feel good to you then you are doing right.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts