9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked thru all the threads and didn't quite find what I have here. Last weekend I picked up a 2012 Civic LX. The brake pedal does something I've never noticed on another vehicle. If you tap the brake pedal it makes a dull clunk noise and you can feel the "clunk" in the steering wheel. It only makes the noise and the vibration you can feel in the steering wheel if you tap or quickly apply the brakes. A slow, smooth, steady pressure application doesn't produce it. It does it whether the car is moving or stopped. Almost seems like there's some slack in the booster and you can hear the echo when the slack is take up. I don't feel any actual slack in the pedal though. I've been able to check out a couple of other new Civics at a dealer and they all did it to some degree. Service manager seemed to think it was normal. This may be the case, but still find the noise irritating/annoying. Any one else notice what I talking about? I guess it's just a Honda thing, but I'd like to know what causes it and if there is a way to quiet it down. Thanks.

P.S. - Car has to be running to produce the noise...once the pressure is depleted from the booster from a couple pedal pumps after it's shut down, the noise stops.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 12 EX sedan does the same thing. Clunk is a good description. On my car it only does it when you apply the brake on the right edge of the pedal. If you place your foot in the middle of the pedal and depress the brake it doesn't display the clunk.

Very annoying.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine is pretty consistent regardless of where you press the pedal. 3 other 2012s all did it to some extent. Guess its just the way these boosters are made. Don't really like it though. Annoying

·
Registered
1 Posts
We bought our car toward the end of October, I started noticing the noise that your describe in December. Took it to dealership to have them look at it in January. They said there was nothing wrong with it. The noise persisted after that. You are right, it is incredibly annoying! I am a teacher and with school finally being done for the year, I figured I'd have time to track this down. So I took the car to the dealership again. Took the technician for a ride in the car to make sure he understood about what I was talking. He said he thought that was "normal". I told him that I have had multiple new cars and never experienced this noise. I owned a Honda Accord with almost 300,000 miles on it and it never made this noise. I owned a Honda Fit with over 100,000 miles and it never made this noise. I told him "it's not normal". He pulled a brand new 2012 Honda Civic off the lot and showed me that the brand new car was producing the same "clunk". They did everything they could at the dealership. I love this car, but the noise from the brake pedal is too much. I'm going to write to Honda. If they can't fix it for our 2012 model (and they should!), maybe they can fix it for future models/owners. I have come to expect quality from Honda and they need to fix this!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Count me in as another person experiencing this with my brake pedal. I bought an EX coupe 5-spd on 5/23 and noticed it only a couple days later. I figured something just needed to be greased somewhere. Glad I'm not the only one experiencing this, but then on the other hand, I don't feel glad....hmm

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought the new 2012 Civic EX-L a month ago, and I noticed the noise one day after I drove the car. Extremely annoying and upsetting! Honda dealership has called the manufactures and attempted to fix the noise four times, but they said they still have no clear answers to why the car making such noise. In addition, when I drive on non-paved/rough roads, my car makes a rattling noise which I think is coming from the back seat.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Are you guys talking about the clunk when you let go of the pedal? Cuz I experienced it myself.... unless I'm missing something.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
69 Posts
No, it's when you first press down on the brake pedal. It sounds like a cheap clunk/metal vibration sort of sound. I managed to get mine to stop doing it, but it's probably more attributed to the way I press down on the brakes. If you do it more slowly and straight on rather than quickly and at an angle from the right, it never makes the sound. That's my experience, anyway.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No, it's when you first press down on the brake pedal. It sounds like a cheap clunk/metal vibration sort of sound. I managed to get mine to stop doing it, but it's probably more attributed to the way I press down on the brakes. If you do it more slowly and straight on rather than quickly and at an angle from the right, it never makes the sound. That's my experience, anyway.
Thats exactly it. Almost sounds like a hollow echo inside the booster. I've subconsciously made an effort to be smooth on the pedal so as not to get the clunk. I've felt some play in pedals before, but never had an audible noise or been able to feel it in the steering wheel. Normal or not, it is annoying.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've heard this on my '12 Si once in a while, but didn't realize what was causing it. Now that you've mentioned this I'll have to see if I can duplicate it on demand.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Oh :| nah I don't get that noise, given that I drive like a snail most of the time, my stops are pretty gentle.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Bought my EX on Saturday, started hearing and feeling this clunking on the brake yesterday (Monday). Very disappointing to say the least. Like another poster mentioned, it seems to do it more when you hit the brake on the right side. I purposely tried to hit it square on while driving this morning and it did not make the noise. Still, I shouldn't have to constantly be aware of how I'm hitting the brake in order to keep a brand new car from making a clunking sound. If anyone finds out any more info about the problem, please post an update!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same problem here. Just got Civic 2012 LX Sedan. I have noticed that it happens when the car is still or slowly moving (traffic). Same thing, if you apply more pressure on the right side, which is all the time for me. It is easy to replicate if the pedal is fully depressed and then you tap on it on the right side. It feels like it rubs against something. It is really irritating, especially when I am driving in the traffic. Not only it makes the sound but you can feel the vibration in the leg. It is clearly a design or manufacturing flaw. Can't believe they have missed it. It actually ruins the whole experience of driving for me.

So noone was able to find the fix for it? Any luck with dealers?

·
H2O in hydrant - K9P out
2,169 Posts
I have an LX Sedan and I have noticed this sound. You're right that it is annoying. Luckily I love music and usually have the tunes going loud enough to not hear it or hit the brake at the correct angle . The sound reminds me of a cheap sounding clunk noise my very first car used to make (1980 Pontiac Acadian), but that car was all round cheap and things such as this were to be expected. Honda needs to look into this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have that same problem on my 12 LX not all the time just usually when I start driving the car then eventually the noise goes away I have brought it back to Honda and they said its normal.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My EX-L sedan does the same thing, I went back to the dealer and had them look at it. while I was waiting I checked out a couple of new ones and they both did the same thing! I would say it is a design flaw, and I have decided to live with it. but if someone comes up with a fix I would sure like to know about it!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Has anyone at Honda explained what is causing this "normal" sound?

All cars have their foibles. I remember my '97 Prelude SH (new) made a buzzing sound in cooler weather, years and a TSB later turned out to be a heat shield resonating against the exhaust system. Never bothered to fix it even with TSB, car went 15 years just fine anyways, never any further issues. BUT: knowing what it was gave me peace of mind.

That's at least what Honda should do here.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts