9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I hit my brakes the wheel shakes and when I get to lower speeds I hear what sounds like a rough sound. Would this be my rotors? I know the inside camper seal is ripped but not leaking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How would I know if the calipers are bad? Could calipers cause them to warp? I have the powerstop aftermarket rotors and pads on now. It’s gotten worse. I’m going back to Honda rotors and pads next, I’ve never had a problem with them and they lasted a long time.

·
Registered
479 Posts
When you changed brakes, did you lube caliper pins? If you didn't touch them, they could be seized. This is especially true if you had a hard time getting your calipers over the rotors. Kinda hard to mess up turning a rotor on a lathe, it can be done but HAS to be very uncommon.

·
Registered
105 Posts
When I hit my brakes the wheel shakes and when I get to lower speeds I hear what sounds like a rough sound. Would this be my rotors? I know the inside camper seal is ripped but not leaking.

Definitely replace that seal...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes the pins were greased. I might as well just replace the calipers then mess with the seals. Is that something that has to be oem or can aftermarket work?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Steering wheel shaking is often the rotors warped. Other times it could be a bad control arm bushing. You’ll know if the caliper is bad since it will he seized. You can tell by one side of the brake pads has worn way more than the other.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What is the correct way to check the control arm bushings? I did a visual and didn’t notice anything. I also just greased my sway bar links. Does anyone have the service manual for putting on rotors and pads and grease points?

·
Registered
105 Posts
You would have to look for tips on the bushings. You can google torn lower control arm bushings and that should give you an indication of what to look for.

Sway bar bushings shouldn’t cause steering wheel vibrations under braking. Do you mind taking pictures of your brakes especially around the caliper pins and what torn seal you have

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’d have to have my friend take them off it might be a little wait. The rubber seal was ripped. The pins got plenty of grease because I did one side when my friend helped me.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Was the seal that was torn on the caliper (hydraulic piston) or the sliding pin part? Could be loose lug nuts too...easy check.

·
Registered
115 Posts

What many call "warped rotors" is actually parallelism. Warped rotors are a misconception spread by ignorant mechanics(past and present) and joe public. While technically it is possibly for the hat of the rotor to warp,it is virtually impossible to warp the disc itself, on a vehicle.

The brake pad bed-in procedure, quality pads, lug nut torque and proper lubrication of the brake hardware are critical to preventing parallelism.

Have the rotors resurfaced and replace the pads with a quality pad(Honda,Akebono,Nissin...etc...) Torque the wheels and follow a proper bed in procedure(basically no hard or panic stops for at least 200 miles)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What many call "warped rotors" is actually parallelism. Warped rotors are a misconception spread by ignorant mechanics(past and present) and joe public. While technically it is possibly for the hat of the rotor to warp,it is virtually impossible to warp the disc itself, on a vehicle.

The brake pad bed-in procedure, quality pads, lug nut torque and proper lubrication of the brake hardware are critical to preventing parallelism.

Have the rotors resurfaced and replace the pads with a quality pad(Honda,Akebono,Nissin...etc...) Torque the wheels and follow a proper bed in procedure(basically no hard or panic stops for at least 200 miles)
The car has powerstop pads and powerstop drilled and slotted rotors. I’ll call around and see who cuts them. Do you have a diagram possibly of the correct grease points and the correct grease?

·
Registered
73 Posts
If your talking about the rubber seal for the pins. They come as a kit sometimes with the pads. Just make sure what's in the box before you buy. And yes warped rotors if it shakes while braking.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Nvm I take what I said back. Didn't know there was a second page lol. I had power stop before and it felt worse than oem.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts