9th Gen Civic Forum banner

61 - 80 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
I leave for work @ like 4am each morning and 90% of my commute is on i-95. At 4am there is maybe 10 cars total to be seen in the 60 miles i'm on the hway. I can count 3 times I have ever taken my SI up to or over 100 mph. Once when the car was just over 1000 miles on it because each one of use wants to see what we paid the extra cash for. the other 2 times were fooling around with a the audi R8 that seems to have the same commute schedule I do. Both of those times I should have just slowed down. LOL That R8 toyed with my emotions up to about 110 mph then he put the pedal down and tossed me away like yesterdays trash :'(

I don't agree or disagree with anyones driving style as I would like to think most are reasonable and responsible enough to know when to play and when to be considerate of the other travelers. I have never had any issues with my brakes as OP has been describing here but I'll agree with a few people posting to take it to the dealer and let them know about it. The least they will do is inspect the braking system and possibly find an issue. For the time being, since you already know (or believe) an issue exists I would recommend NOT driving over 100 mph as even if there is no one else on the road a stuck brake at those speeds could be a lot more dangerous than what one might think. As for the statements about the car being designed for that type of stuff... its a civic that has mild streetable upgrades to provide a fun inspired car over the more basic versions or provide tuners with a better starting platform for creating a SAFE trackable car. Just because car and driver tracked the car as is for their testing purposes does not mean this car was designed for it.

Take my post however you feel like but even when you are alone on a straight highway speeds of 100+ mph are not safe by any means as you can not 100% say the parts of the car will not fail.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
you have a warranty. use it.
Good idea in theory, if the dealer could verify the complaint.
Problem with that is the illegal speed that is said to be required, to produce the alleged problem.
  • No dealer would knowingly allow anyone working for them drive the customer's car at illegal speeds.
  • No dealer would knowingly allow anyone working for them ride with the customer driving at illegal speeds.
In California, getting caught, speeding over the ton is a trip to jail. And the pleasure of having your vehicle impounded.

The OP, can and should report the alleged problem but, IMO is on his own with this one.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
he could tell them he was in Idaho or Utah...where the limit is around 80 or so...and he was slightly above it.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Sorry but I have to throw the View attachment 257273 flag on the stuck caliper. If the caliper stuck the tire would have one or more flat spots.
And, would be ruined...
That's not entirely true. Having a stuck caliper does not necessarily mean that it's locked up. I had this occur on my G35. What it means is that the rotor and pad would be in constant contact with each other and superheat to the point of brake fade and beyond. Then, the wheel would start heating up. If this continued long enough, it is possible the tire could explode, but only in extreme cases. This likely could have caused a slight warp in the rotor, only noticeable at high speeds.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
First post, just got a 13' Si in February
I have an issue with braking that is only noticeable above 100 mph.
Basically what happens is that the car shakes (one time very violently (was from 133ish),

and left me with a stuck caliper on the front right passenger side for 20 mins)
Sorry but I have to throw the [iurl="http://www.9thgencivic.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=257273&d=1375318229"]
[/iurl] flag on the stuck caliper. If the caliper stuck the tire would have one or more flat spots.
And, would be ruined...
I struggle to believe the op's version of what happened. Especially the stuck caliper.
2012 & later Civics do have driver aids built into the ABS/VSA systems.
And the op's experience may just be the brake assist system working.

See Civic Owner's manual pg. 232

Brake Assist System
Designed to assist the driver by generating greater braking force when you depress
the brake pedal hard during emergency braking.
■ Brake assist system operation
Press the brake pedal firmly for more powerful braking.
When brake assist operates, the pedal may wiggle slightly and an operating noise
may be heard. This is normal. Keep holding the brake pedal firmly down.
It definitely stuck. Maybe not fully. But I came off the offramp, stopped at a light and saw smoke and pulled over.. Only one tire did it. The others were hot no doubt, but the rim was hot and the disc was a dull red when I first saw it. I dont know why I'd lie about this.. Seems kinda fruitless to do so. But thank you for that bit of info, that was what I was feeling. But the time the pad stuck was rough, the car shook much more violently at any level of braking when this occurred.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Take my post however you feel like but even when you are alone on a straight highway speeds of 100+ mph are not safe by any means as you can not 100% say the parts of the car will not fail.
I agree with that. Those speeds can cause plenty of cars issues. I have not done it that often though, so I cannot say I push the boundaries.

·
Registered
11,032 Posts
It definitely stuck. Maybe not fully. But I came off the offramp, stopped at a light and saw smoke and pulled over.. Only one tire did it. The others were hot no doubt, but the rim was hot and the disc was a dull red when I first saw it. I dont know why I'd lie about this.. Seems kinda fruitless to do so. But thank you for that bit of info, that was what I was feeling. But the time the pad stuck was rough, the car shook much more violently at any level of braking when this occurred.

there are many people firmly believe stock si brake system is good & the issue is you, not the brake...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
there are many people firmly believe stock si brake system is good & the issue is you, not the brake...
Alright, then explain the smoking on just one tire? EBD failure or air in the line is my guess but since you seem so quick to make a judgement on my part, you can believe what you like. How is the system "good" if it's relatively weak? The Si is not a heavy car. It shouldn't have these issues, but hey, that's just my (must be blatantly worthless) opinion.

·
Registered
8,198 Posts
Alright, then explain the smoking on just one tire? EBD failure or air in the line is my guess but since you seem so quick to make a judgement on my part, you can believe what you like. How is the system "good" if it's relatively weak? The Si is not a heavy car. It shouldn't have these issues, but hey, that's just my (must be blatantly worthless) opinion.
It's good but not that good.
Hence HPD has an upgraded setup.the system "flexes" more than it should.
The SI is a heavy car.your front bias.weight up front plays a big role.

·
Registered
8,198 Posts
If this happened to one side and you were on an off ramp that means the systems VSA detected a weight shift motion.VSA paired with the brake assist and ABS will do this.you can read about it in the owners manual.

·
Registered
11,032 Posts

so what you gonna do about it ? your gonna sell your car ? your gonna change the way you drive ? or your gonna upgrade the brake & continue to drives at 100+ mph ??

this is what i did to my car..

·
Registered
433 Posts
so what you gonna do about it ? your gonna sell your car ? your gonna change the way you drive ? or your gonna upgrade the brake & continue to drives at 100+ mph ??

No.. he's gonna piss and moan about driving a car way too fast on a public roadway. It's a lease and he should be complaining to Honda and not an Internet forum. If he is so unhappy with the way the car performs maybe he should find someone to take over his lease so he can buy a car he will like more. Maybe I'm wrong but I doubt anyone here will be able to come up with a solution to make this guy happy... If you want a supercar, you buy a supercar...

·
Registered
1,641 Posts

Nice kit! Please link me to a front and rear brake kit. I've been wanting to upgrade mine.

61 - 80 of 96 Posts