9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 778 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys go buy it or not?
In the owners manual it states to atleast go 600 miles without driving it hard. In other words, no:pinkvtec::pinkvtec::pinkvtec::pinkvtec:
I've heard people say this is bs and I've also heard people who stand by this. Just curious as to what you guys think.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
600 seems pretty arbitrary if you ask me. I can see maybe if you need to drive a few miles to get the oil and whatnot circulating, but 600 miles to break it in? Maybe it's a ploy used to trick you out of your warranty lol

Personally at first, naturally I'll baby it to the highest degree and probably not even push it into vtec, but waiting for 600 miles seems ridiculous Keep in mind, I'm not highly knowledgeable about engine stuff so maybe there's something technical I'm not accounting for..

·
Premium Member
3,686 Posts
I waited 600 miles before hitting redline. I did hit vtec slightly after about 400 miles. It can't hurt to wait, but it is easier said then done.

·
You Don't know Me!
4,030 Posts
600 Mile Break-In Period for what? The only Break-in Periods I'd say are only for aftermarket Suspensions and Brakes.

·
Premium Member
3,686 Posts
We are talking about breaking in the engine.

·
You Don't know Me!
4,030 Posts
We are talking about breaking in the engine.
Do you believe in it?

I don't. I would say make sure your engine is warmed up with enough engine oil. You know how Vtec loves oil.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
I like to take it easy on my cars for atleast the first couple hundred miles.....let everything warm an set properly. Plus if they are using any sort of break in fluids then you dont want to push it. And i change my oil after approx 500 miles just to be safe. Guys its all about how you take care of your car......show your car some love and you should be abale to drive any way you want.

·
You Don't know Me!
4,030 Posts
I like to take it easy on my cars for atleast the first couple hundred miles.....let everything warm an set properly. Plus if they are using any sort of break in fluids then you dont want to push it. And i change my oil after approx 500 miles just to be safe. Guys its all about how you take care of your car......show your car some love and you should be abale to drive any way you want.
wow 500 miles oil change? I wonder what kind of oil you use. I always change my oil every 5000 miles.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
wow 500 miles oil change? I wonder what kind of oil you use. I always change my oil every 5000 miles.
I usually use a full synthetic....but i meant i can it initally at 500 miles.....after the first one i change it every 3k-4k because of my driving habbits and conds. Im not sure what Honda suggest but i will probably do the same here.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, as you guys said, I think everyone babies their car for the first couple hundred miles. I've just noticed a lot of people are for it and some think its complete BS.

When I test drove the 2011 si I was taking it easy and the salesmen looks at me and says "Come on man drive it like it's meant to be driven." I asked what he meant and he said to push it to the high rpm's so I can see how good the engine felt. Kinda made me wonder. Keep in mind this car only had 9 miles on it.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Yeah, as you guys said, I think everyone babies their car for the first couple hundred miles. I've just noticed a lot of people are for it and some think its complete BS.

When I test drove the 2011 si I was taking it easy and the salesmen looks at me and says "Come on man drive it like it's meant to be driven." I asked what he meant and he said to push it to the high rpm's so I can see how good the engine felt. Kinda made me wonder. Keep in mind this car only had 9 miles on it.
yeah but at the same time he only cares about selling the car....if it breaks down after you buy it well its not his problem. he made his sale already, over to service you go!

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Think about it, they have to test the cars too, and testing to make sure the vtec works is also something to test. When you buy a car they don't come with 0 miles, they're driven. I think what they mean when they say wait for 600 is basically you can hit vtec sometimes, but don't be driving like a maniac and redlining it and all of that. I think it's real but shouldn't be taken like 'you need to drive like a snail for 600 miles'

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah I know what you mean Jason. Regardless I baby all my cars so I won't worry about this too much. :wigglesmiley:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Oil Changes

Concerning initial oil change: the first miles get a lot more metal particles into the oil and oil filter than any other miles. Many people believe in an early change such as 500 miles. If there is a special break-in oil, then the advantage of having this is lost. What I did but am not necessairly recommending is drove modestly the 1st 500 mi, changed oil at 1,000 mi, put in 5-30 Honda oil, drove 2,000 mi, changed same again drove 3,000 mi, then went to Mobil 1 5-30 Ext Range and went 6000 mi, and now use Amsoil 0-30 and change at 15% with Mobil 1 filters, but will likely start using Amsoil filters also. I use conventional oil at first for a good break in and only then go to synthetic which does not help break in at all. I feel guilty changing as often as 15% remaining(6-8K mi). This is what I do and think(not know) is best. I was an oil chemist at Shell early in my career. I don't think we necessarily know best either. This is just what I do.

·
You Don't know Me!
4,030 Posts
do you have hook ups on the amsoil engine oil?

For me only, I think I'll go all the way to 5000 miles till the first oil change. I'm going to try something Amsoil or Royal Purple. I do not put RP for gains in HP, because I still don't really belive that. Well, Mobil 1 was never good for my EP3 as it burned too quick and it is not fully synthetic. After 3000 miles, my oil was sitting at the half mark on the dipstick. When I changed it to RP, it didn't burn quickly like it did with Mobil 1. After 5000 miles, RP was still really close to the top hole on the dipstick. I know with fully synthetic engine oils, you can still keep on going for more miles per bob the oil guy but I figured, eh oh well.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
I think Sew's method seems very good. But everyone has their own preference and i dont think anyone is really right or wrong here. If your not sure the best thing you can do is follow your manual.....after all you would think Honda knows what is best for thier own cars :)

·
Registered
214 Posts
do you have hook ups on the amsoil engine oil?
I have a friend who gives me some discount on it. Concerning using "the best" oil, how often it's changed, etc: just how many engines actually "wear out" these days due to wear? I know of many engines that make it to 250,000-300,000 miles on regular 10-30 oil with only fair maintenance at best. Example: my son bought a one owner 1998 Accord(SE, manual) 3 years ago that was owned by a female dentist friend of mine who lived in Memphis. The car was 10 years old and had 199,800 miles on it. Cities are hard on cars. Manuals can get a lot of use in city traffic. It had only average care. It had had 3,000 mi oil changes since new. He drove it until it had 322,xxx miles and traded it. It still didn't use even a quart of oil between changes. All oil used was 10-30 std oil(various brands - he used Valvoline). I did the first valve adj the car had ever had at appx 220,000 miles - one valve was 0.002" loose. Many people(not me) are happy if they even get them that close. Point is: is lubrication even a problem? For a car that may frequently be driven extremely hard and for a lot of miles, possibly yes. A 2.0L engine producing 197 and above hp and being driven at 6000+ rpms frequently, especially with hard acceleration, the oil quality/properties are much more important than for virtually any other car/truck engine. Personal opinion is that any synthetic 5-30 will be more than up to the task and Royal Purple likely, and Amsoil 0-30 will be even better, but likely we'll never benefit from the difference. Once again, this is only my unsubstantiated opinion.

·
You Don't know Me!
4,030 Posts
I have a friend who gives me some discount on it. Concerning using "the best" oil, how often it's changed, etc: just how many engines actually "wear out" these days due to wear? I know of many engines that make it to 250,000-300,000 miles on regular 10-30 oil with only fair maintenance at best. Example: my son bought a one owner 1998 Accord(SE, manual) 3 years ago that was owned by a female dentist friend of mine who lived in Memphis. The car was 10 years old and had 199,800 miles on it. Cities are hard on cars. Manuals can get a lot of use in city traffic. It had only average care. It had had 3,000 mi oil changes since new. He drove it until it had 322,xxx miles and traded it. It still didn't use even a quart of oil between changes. All oil used was 10-30 std oil(various brands - he used Valvoline). I did the first valve adj the car had ever had at appx 220,000 miles - one valve was 0.002" loose. Many people(not me) are happy if they even get them that close. Point is: is lubrication even a problem? For a car that may frequently be driven extremely hard and for a lot of miles, possibly yes. A 2.0L engine producing 197 and above hp and being driven at 6000+ rpms frequently, especially with hard acceleration, the oil quality/properties are much more important than for virtually any other car/truck engine. Personal opinion is that any synthetic 5-30 will be more than up to the task and Royal Purple likely, and Amsoil 0-30 will be even better, but likely we'll never benefit from the difference. Once again, this is only my unsubstantiated opinion.
:iagree:

Reactions: dwmilton

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've never owned a "brand new" car so all this is new to me. I've heard manyyy different ways that people deal with it and the first oil changes etc. Was thinking of just going off the owners manual and using synthetic after that.

1 - 20 of 778 Posts