9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, I have a 2015 Honda Civic Si. One of the bolt washers that connects a fan to the radiator broke in half while we were attempting to remove it. So now, we have a broken bolt washer stuck on the radiator. I already have the replacement bolt washer. The broken one that is stuck on the radiator is protruding so we did attempt to put some WD-40 on it and try to grab it with a tool and turn it out but it won't budge. are two pictures. Also, when I tried searching for the other piece that the bolt washer connects to, it seems that isn't sold separately, it seems that it's part of the radiator itself and not sold separately. Any suggestions on how to get this broken bolt washer out?

·
Photoshop Masta
2,872 Posts
Any luck? Looks like it's rusted on there pretty good. Have you tried a bolt extractor?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any luck? Looks like it's rusted on there pretty good. Have you tried a bolt extractor?
We haven't tried the a bolt extractor although I did see some videos on youtube that suggested that. Not sure that there is enough space to do that since the radiator itself is in the car. Might be something my dad and I need to try. It's been super cold and snowing these past few days so haven't had a chance to revisit. We may need to figure out if we can give that a try. Thanks! If you have any other suggestions, open to them! 😀

·
Photoshop Masta
2,872 Posts
Yeah I think that's your best bet. Or just drill it out ya know? Find a bit that's just a tad bit smaller than the bolt and drill into it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I think that's your best bet. Or just drill it out ya know? Find a bit that's just a tad bit smaller than the bolt and drill into it.
Thanks! We're going to see if we can give those two things a shot. 🤞

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For anyone that comes across a similar situation, we ended up chipping away at the broken bolt and then pushed it out through the other side while it was still connected to the square nut. We weren't able to separate the broken bolt from the square nut. Instead we ended up buying a similar square nut at home depot. The dealer doesn't sell the square nut separately, I was informed the square nut comes with the radiator. So the one from home depot worked for us. One thing to keep in mind, the bolt sold by the dealer is in metric measurement m6 but the square nut we found was standard so we ended up buying a corresponding hex Phillips machine screw which was a little longer but worked just fine. Seems like these parts are really prone to rust so this is an option in case you're looking to replace the bolt and the square nut. Here's a picture from left to right of the new honda bolt and the home depot machine screw and square nut we used instead to replace the broken stuck bolt that was connected to a square nut.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
SAE hardware on a honda...blasphemy
Wouldn't be the first time SAE was used to repair metric.
Used a 1/4-20 stud to hold the exhaust flange on my CB160. That was before I knew about time sert or heil coil.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts