9th Gen Civic Forum banner

281 - 291 of 291 Posts

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
The reason the coilovers squeak is moisture and metal to metal contact. If you put a preload on the coilovers it actually makes the squeak worse ( I know, I learned the hard way). Best thing to do is lubricate the top and bottom of the spring with something that will last through rain storms and car washes...like grease. Problem is grease attracts debris...so make that decision on your own.

K tuned installs a gasket where the spring contacts the perch to prevent any noise. I've thought about making some for my coilovers but they only squeak through a few speed bumps after I drive the car through a florida storm.
Good info, mine squeeks time to time but hardly noticeable. I can only hear it if my radio is off and I'm just driving. But with the radio on even at low volume it is not noticeable at all

·
Registered
224 Posts
Looking for opinions:
My old Si I had Eibach springs and I think Koni shocks. Loved the ride. I think it was the progressive springs.

The question is, should I go with progressive springs and shocks (H&R and Truhart) or Buddyclub Sport Spec Coilovers? Seems like both are great quality.

I don't need to adjust the height, but the dampening might be nice to be able to adjust.

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
It all sorta depends on what you want to accomplish. Looking for a fun sporty ride with way less finger gap that could handle a track day or two? Go springs. I personally never did aftermarket shocks and honestly they were never needed while I had the car, although I could see how longer term ownership would probably require the shocks too once the OE ones give out.
On the other hand, if you want to get corner weighted for a serious track beast, or are looking to go fully slammed in the weeds, then go coilovers. The other nice thing about coilovers: no need for a spring compressor!

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Bringing this thread back to life.

I installed Buddy Club Sport Spec coilovers a week ago, and I'm experiencing clunking in the rear. I have all my heights set where I like them, and front dampening is set to 13/20 (20 being stiffest) and rear is set to 10/20.

One big issue with these coils is that the rear spring and perch have lots of play in them. The spring can move around too much, and having metal to metal contact is likely causing the sound. The clunk occurs with small bumps in the road, and even when the brakes are first applied(without bumps in the road). This tells me that the spring is probably shifting within the perch. There's around 2-3 mm of space with which the spring is wider than the perch.

I'm sure if I preloaded the spring a bunch, the sound would go away. But all this preaching about ZERO preload has me not wanting to attempt that.

I think having a small adapter between the perch and the spring would fix the noise. I'm curious as to why this wasn't produced by Buddy Club in the first place.

On the right side, I fashioned a make-shift rubber "stopper" or "gasket" to see if this would stop the noise on that side.

image2(2).jpg image1(3).jpg

and for good measure, I added some extra sound deadening material to the inside of the rubber piece that connects to the car. There was quite a bit of play there as well.

image4.jpg image3(1).jpg

This didn't eliminate the noise in the rear completely, but I'm assuming I need to do the same to the left rear corner as well to totally test the theory.

I plan on trying the method for setting rear preload suggested by HellaJDM next.

For what it's worth, the front has not made a single noise in a week of driving now.

Another thing to note is that I have not gotten an alignment yet. I wanted to let the springs settle a bit and make all adjustments first. The car drive straight as it did stock up to 70 mph... lol..

·
Registered
5 Posts

I installed Buddy Club Sport Spec coilovers a week ago, and I'm experiencing clunking in the rear. I have all my heights set where I like them, and front dampening is set to 13/20 (20 being stiffest) and rear is set to 10/20.

One big issue with these coils is that the rear spring and perch have lots of play in them. The spring can move around too much, and having metal to metal contact is likely causing the sound. The clunk occurs with small bumps in the road, and even when the brakes are first applied(without bumps in the road). This tells me that the spring is probably shifting within the perch. There's around 2-3 mm of space with which the spring is wider than the perch.

I'm sure if I preloaded the spring a bunch, the sound would go away. But all this preaching about ZERO preload has me not wanting to attempt that.

I think having a small adapter between the perch and the spring would fix the noise. I'm curious as to why this wasn't produced by Buddy Club in the first place.

On the right side, I fashioned a make-shift rubber "stopper" or "gasket" to see if this would stop the noise on that side.

View attachment 471121 View attachment 471129

and for good measure, I added some extra sound deadening material to the inside of the rubber piece that connects to the car. There was quite a bit of play there as well.

View attachment 471137 View attachment 471145

This didn't eliminate the noise in the rear completely, but I'm assuming I need to do the same to the left rear corner as well to totally test the theory.

I plan on trying the method for setting rear preload suggested by HellaJDM next.

For what it's worth, the front has not made a single noise in a week of driving now.

Another thing to note is that I have not gotten an alignment yet. I wanted to let the springs settle a bit and make all adjustments first. The car drive straight as it did stock up to 70 mph... lol..
That's an installation issue. There is suppose to be some amount of preload on the spring to prevent it from coming loose during de-compression.

·
Registered
64 Posts

View attachment 471121 View attachment 471129

View attachment 471137 View attachment 471145

Really sounds like you didn't preload at all lol you need the spring to have a bit of preload to keep it from moving like it's doing now. Check out youtube videos by Rudy at Procivic... He shows you how to install.

·
Registered
64 Posts
N+ Spec installed yesterday - happy with the results and the ride quality is great.

View attachment 317153
Did you have to buy any other parts for the install? I see you didn't go very low, I plan on doing just that. I don't want to go lower than 1 inch, do I need camber kits and other parts? Please list them all.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
That's an installation issue. There is suppose to be some amount of preload on the spring to prevent it from coming loose during de-compression.
This is technically incorrect. Buddy Club Sport Spec coilovers are a ZERO preload application. Buddy Club emphasizes this within the instructions, multiple times.

I did end up getting the suspension figured out, with no clunking whatsoever. I'll try to find the post I used to fix the issues, and edit and add to this post.

·
Registered
121 Posts
It's been some months since I've had my sport specs installed now, but I'm not sure how one would install the rears w/ zero preload. I've watched various videos recommended around here and if I were to put zero preload, then the rear shocks would be near the last thread. I think at the moment I have maybe 3-4 threads remaining on the shocks before they come apart.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
TBO, I agree that it doesn't seem correct to not have the springs slightly compressed at the full length the decompressed strut. I know WHY Buddy Club suggests zero preload, but in practice this leads to clunking.

I'm around a month short of a year since installing the coilovers, and have been riding clunk free since setting an ever so slight tension, what everyone is calling preload. I hate to call it that, but I think it's basically the same concept. It's just that there's no way to quantify the value of preload when it's technically not supposed to be there, so I don't feel it's correct to call it preload. Ie: "compress the spring by 5mm preload", or "the spring should be 120mm in length after preload is set".

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
i ran my buddy club coils (one of the first sets available) for 2 years with no clunking, i literally just set them and installed them and didnt have any issue at all

281 - 291 of 291 Posts