9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 13 civic si with 93 k miles on it. I was getting onto the highway and miss shifted from 3rd to 2nd and it 7k rpm on accident. After that my car started smelling like almost the breaks were on fire. I’m new to cars and I’m freaking out. Please be kind I’m still learning LOL!

·
Registered
79 Posts
downshifting accidentally to second gear, from high speeds can cause engine damage.

youre probably smelling some burnt clutch.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah now it’s smelling like it even when I drive easy I know my throw out bearing is making some noise too. So I’m wondering if my clutch is going out. I learned how to drive manual in this car and I was too easy when I was first learning

·
Registered
152 Posts
Yeah now it’s smelling like it even when I drive easy I know my throw out bearing is making some noise too. So I’m wondering if my clutch is going out. I learned how to drive manual in this car and I was too easy when I was first learning
Don't get down about it, when I started driving I'd burn clutches out pretty early. Pay attention to if the clutch starts slipping during high-load conditions. The clutch may be glazed if it slips, and you'll have to replace it.
If it got too hot, it can warp/crack the flywheel. There's a inspection cover to look at the clutch pretty easy if you can get the car in the air.

·
Registered
2012 Honda Civic LX
27 Posts
shouldn't take you more than a couple weeks to get the feel for your car and then a couple months after that to be fully in control of it, if not, sell it and go back to an automatic. clutches are cheap but you will pay in the labor cost to have one replaced. the engine has ways of protecting itself if it revs too high however there is no safety mechanism in place for improper clutch use. the most important thing is to not let the clutch sit in the slippage zone for too long and the only time it should really be in this zone is when you're starting out from a dead stop. normal driving at speed with normal shifting will not wear down a clutch. I've been able to get stock clutches to last way past 100k miles and have known people to have them last past 300k

1 - 5 of 5 Posts