9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I've been looking for a 9th Gen SI for a while now but can't seem to find one with no rust (Ontario winters, so much salt).
I happened to find a 2013 sedan with only 70,000 km on it because it's been sitting in a garage since December 2016. The guy wintered it in Alberta where they use sand instead of salt, so other than a few stone chips the body is in amazing shape. He never bothered registering it in Ontario because he has another vehicle. The chassis looks great as well.
He said he ran it every few months and kept the battery on trickle charge, and also replaced the battery not too long ago. He's going to put new brakes and rotors all around and also get an alignment and safety it.
Everything looks good but I'm a little worried about buying a car that sat for so long. The tires and everything look great and it runs good, clutch feels good and goes into all gears smoothly.
What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Man you won't know until you go look at it and drive it. I personally wouldn't be worried about a car that sat, as long as it was taken care of.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Man you won't know until you go look at it and drive it. I personally wouldn't be worried about a car that sat, as long as it was taken care of.
I have seen it and driven it. I definitely want it, just not sure if i might run into a lot of issues since it hasn't been driven in 2 years. Sounds like I have nothing to worry about though!

·
Registered
748 Posts
I have seen it and driven it. I definitely want it, just not sure if i might run into a lot of issues since it hasn't been driven in 2 years. Sounds like I have nothing to worry about though!
If hes started it up once in awhile to let fluids circulate it should be fine. Tires dodnt have any flat spots? Plus its been sitting in the garage not out in the elements. I say get it

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
For sure. I would say replace shocks and struts if he hasn't driven it. From my experience the seals work better when they get used, when parked they can dry out and let go. That's also down here in Texas where its crazy hot in the summer.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,108 Posts
The most important thing to do is replace the fluids, especially the gas and oil. Gas can turn to sh*t in 6 months, regardless of whether the car was started or not. If car has been sitting for 2 years, that means the same gas has been in there for 2 years, whether it's started regularly or not. I'd siphon as much out as possible and fill with fresh. Change the oil and filter as soon as you get home.

If he's been starting and running the car regularly, and the car starts when you go to drive it, the battery should be fine. Tires and suspension just need to be checked once the car is on the road. They may very well be fine. If the alignment was good before he put it away, that will be fine, too. You'll know when you inspect the wear pattern on the tires and then drive it. I've never had a car go out of alignment just from driving it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts