9th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed something tonight. I was testing something out with my back-up camera in my garage, so I turned the key on, but did not start the engine. I then put the transmission in reverse to engage the back-up camera, and I noticed a buzzing sound coming from under the hood -- not super loud but loud enough that I noticed it. However, when I shifted the transmission back into park, the buzzing stopped. Remember, the engine was not running at all -- just the key ignition was switched on.

This is in a 2015 LX Coupe with the CVT.

I have not noticed any drivability or shifting issues, and it would not be anything I would likely notice under the normal conditions of being inside my car with the engine running when the transmission is in gear. I did a search on this site and found something that indicates that this might be normal, but it wasn't the exact same situation. I'm just curious if anyone has ever noticed this on their cars and if it is normal.

Thanks for any input!

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,915 Posts
You've got so much extra electrical stuff going on there, it could be from anything.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Understood, but I do not have that much under the hood -- just some LED lighting, photocells, and the alarm siren -- nothing that would make this kind of sound. Most of what I've added is inside the car, and nothing I've added is hooked to anything related to the transmission, so none of my modifications should have any kind of change based solely on the position of the transmission shifter. I would almost guess this is maybe a fuel pump or something like that, but isn't the fuel pump closer to the gas tank?

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,915 Posts
I would have tried this, myself, when I initially read your OP, but my car has a manual transmission.

Isn't there anyone here with an R18 CVT that would go out and give this a try? Key on, shift to reverse, listen.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,915 Posts
Something else:

Have you gotten out of the car, opened the hood, and tried to locate the buzz, perhaps with a stethoscope?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good idea. I just gave that a try. I don't have a stethoscope, so I just "poked my ear" around to try to determine where the buzz was coming from. It's really hard to pinpoint. As far as I could tell, it's either coming from between the engine and the firewall, or from under the engine itself -- which appears to be where the transmission is. So, it may very well be coming from the transmission, itself. And I tried it in "drive", and it did the same thing -- so, the buzz occurs with the key on (and engine off), and whether the transmission shifter is in reverse or drive.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,915 Posts
Now we just need to know why.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts