9th Gen Civic Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was wondering if anybody tried to make a CAI out of the factory airbox by removing the apparently über restrictive resonator chamber!? IMHO a simple K&N panel filter and the removal of ''this'' could make a very potent CAI without the risc of having a CEL due to the MAF sending a bad signal to the ECM? I will definitely try it i think...

Marko!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I like this thought. Atleast until there is a resonable priced SRI or CAI available. Why not modify the stock intake. Makes me wonder if any of the aftermarket intakes have the same diameter piping at the MAF sensor......or even make power.

·
Vanilla Ice is my hero!!!
539 Posts
Reactions: DOHCtor

·
Registered
81 Posts
I did this resonator delete with k n drop in and wow!! for me it was night and day!! this was before I had the reflash. I switch back and forth from option 1: taking off everything from #7 on down (as on diagram) and option 2 :taking everything off #9 on down (whitch always stays off) under my option 1, I notice much more response and loudness and one time I was showing 46 MPG on imid, which also reflected on my fuel guage. Option 2, not that much power but way better than stock. only reason I am testing different methods is because its easy to do and dont want heat soak by leaving nothing connected to the intake box.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I also did an intake box smooth out (theres alot of little fins both on upper and lower) I learned, and am assuming that the most cool air sucked in to intake manifold will give best gains. Companies obviously make the intakes as smooth, direct, and less restrictive as possible. From messing with this for a couple of weeks I can assume that this resonator delete mod can work as good or better than major brands if 2 things are done. First, if the intake tube, which I think is 8 on diagram, was smooth and not the shape it is, then more air can be sucked in. second the last piece #9 that sits by wheel well, is weird, it has 2 chambers which defeats the purpose of direct, less restrictive passway. there is a company that makes a silicone intake tube that will fix the first ptoblem, second, you have to figure out how to cover the hole in the tube #9 that will create a better flow of air. these are my opinions but honestly, this is a cheap mod you can play with

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guess i really have to try it then..!! :D

Marko!!

·
Registered
145 Posts
I like this thought. Atleast until there is a resonable priced SRI or CAI available. Why not modify the stock intake. Makes me wonder if any of the aftermarket intakes have the same diameter piping at the MAF sensor......or even make power.
Advanced Race Technology has a SRI. Lots of people here have one, myself included. $240 shipped, gains between 7-14hp. Sounds awesome.

K24Z7 Crew Member #117
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.