9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello every one. Some one i know or some one i was talking to the other day had mentioned that one of the first things besides CAI and full cat back. Would be upgraded cam's. I kinda sruged my shoulders at him and in said "yea if your throwing a turbo on the bitch".

I wanna see what every one eles thinks. Come on dont be shy. All commetns are welcome.

needs time to find a crew #loanwolfpack

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
i have only heard of upgrading cams being necessary in a NA builds so they could help make more power, and if i remember correctly when changing cams on a NA setup(this is just info i have researched not actually done) it changes how your car reacts in the powerband so one set of cams or cam may make your bottom end react better giving better torque and maybe another set of cams or cam may give you really good top end and give you more HP or another set giving you a mild increase of both hp and tq. I have heard of people upgrading there cams on turbo setups but if your only driving on the street and not using it for racing I dont see much point.

Reactions: birds-daword

·
Registered
913 Posts
i have only heard of upgrading cams being necessary in a NA builds so they could help make more power, and if i remember correctly when changing cams on a NA setup(this is just info i have researched not actually done) it changes how your car reacts in the powerband so one set of cams or cam may make your bottom end react better giving better torque and maybe another set of cams or cam may give you really good top end and give you more HP or another set giving you a mild increase of both hp and tq. I have heard of people upgrading there cams on turbo setups but if your only driving on the street and not using it for racing I dont see much point.
I sent a E-Mail to Crane Cams asking if they were to make cams for the K24Z7 after having such wonderful results from them in my DOHC Neons!! don't have answers yet but maybe if more people ask them...

Habitually the turbo cams have lot more duration on intake then exhaust because a turbo is a huge restriction in the exhaust and havfing less duration on the exhaust cam then the intake cam helps prevents flow reversion (Exhaust gases backing up in the cylinder!) Crane #14 grind for the DOHC Neon\SRT4 is a wonderful example! Turbo spools much quicker then stock and more power too! More infos on cams right here... It's a Dodge Neon site but it's very well explained. The article is from a magazine...

www.neons.org • View topic - Information: Camshafts

Marko!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
cams can change power band also. it makes it less pointless to run to 8k rpm lol

cams can be helpful to forced induction builds, but will really be help if you got a ported exhaust side. forced induction needs to get the air out. already have plenty forcing it in lol

·
You Don't know Me!
4,030 Posts
Cams are fine as long as you have Hondata Flashpro...

·
Registered
249 Posts
just changing a cam alone esp on a computerized car is likely to spell disaster.. Cams like any other mod require changes to the fuel / air mixture to be maximized. the stock computer program knows what to expect based on it being programmed for the hardware installed... Bigger cams can be a great power adder but not by themselves.. you will need exhaust and intake as well as computer program changes to see any benefit (if not get worse)....

being an old-school hot-rodder I used to just LOVE the guys that would take a chevy 350, put a Huge cam in it(and nothing else).. it would sound AWESOME but had NO GO!
-Christopher

·
Registered
218 Posts
when it comes to cams, you have to first think of usage and rpm powerband the vehicle will be used in.
will it be everyday use were you need smooth idle and decent low end or will it be tracked car and never see low rpm much.

The biggest problem is tuning it as power peak is already right at rev limit now so if you keep duration the same your then limited to lift increases and maybe some VTC adjustments (again tuning comes in)

Also if you do go with more duration, if the cam is decent radical from stock you should also go up on compression ratio so dynamic pressure is regained a bit .

·
Registered
54 Posts
Truthfully, any performance modification w/o tuning is pretty much a waste. You need to have everything dialed in to see full potential.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I would think a set of stage 1 or 2 cams with the 50 degree intake VTC from the RSX-S would be very good for power. Just wait for Hondata to support it electronically.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts