9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So background, I went to change the battery on my mom’s 2015 civic ex CVT and I noticed the rubber plug from the cvt was out so I plugged back in.
She mentioned there’s some oil dripping after her last oil change. I went under and saw this...(note the picture) Noticed nothing to note regarding the engine oil filter and drain plug but the transmission looked brutal. It looked gunky with one important thing...A bolt seems to be missing!! What?!
Any idea what’s going on here I’m not too sure what to make of it. Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh and also I just noticed something with the oil filter; what are those orange blobs?? Is it overfilled and oozing maybe?

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Best bet is find another like car and see if anything is bolted there.
My guess, the threaded hole is superfluous for this car.
The oil/fluid seen, below, could be from the fill plug missing or the casting has a porosity in or near the threaded hole.
Clean the gunk off and check the area after a few days. Same for the oil filter area.

The orange blob could be some kind of RTV sealant applied (not sure why) to the oil filter gasket.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Best bet is find another like car and see if anything is bolted there.
My guess, the threaded hole is superfluous for this car.
The oil/fluid seen, below, could be from the fill plug missing or the casting has a porosity in or near the threaded hole.
Clean the gunk off and check the area after a few days. Same for the oil filter area.

The orange blob could be some kind of RTV sealant applied (not sure why) to the oil filter gasket.
Ok, thank you. I don’t have any other car to compare it to unfortunately but I’ll clean it up and see what happens. Just wondering if maybe the cvt fluid splashed out and drooled down the sides, strange it’s so localized.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Ok, thank you. I don’t have any other car to compare it to unfortunately but I’ll clean it up and see what happens. Just wondering if maybe the cvt fluid splashed out and drooled down the sides, strange it’s so localized.
Most likely cvt fluid spilled out of the vent cap the was out. Common problem on those cars.
As for the oil filter it just looks like rust/corrosion from the underbody getting wet...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts