9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i believe those are rivets.
drill them out or shave them off, just don't let the plastic get too hot, it will smear. ive even used good sharp sidecutters.
I don't think they are because a rivet has a center pin - not hollow, and I've never seen rivets of such thick metal and this is a part that is made to be removed - how many rivets are on a civic or any car? Also, other 9th gen civics use a Philips screw / bolt.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I gotta agree that those look like rivets. Automotive uses TONS of specialized rivets, and they pick up missing spot welds with standard pop rivets at times. I believe the piece your looking at is intended to come off with the plastic above it. I seem to remember a piece like this under my front bumper area.
If you want to take it off, the best tool I found is a drill bit slightly larger than the shank of the rivet.

·
Registered
2015 si sedan : acuity/rbc/rdx/plm/hondata/etunez
468 Posts
I don't think they are because a rivet has a center pin - not hollow, and I've never seen rivets of such thick metal and this is a part that is made to be removed - how many rivets are on a civic or any car? Also, other 9th gen civics use a Philips screw / bolt.
i dunno, but as a red seal journeyman collision repair tech, ive changed alot of bumpers, theres alot of rivets, and rivet type fasteners out there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i dunno, but as a red seal journeyman collision repair tech, ive changed alot of bumpers, theres alot of rivets, and rivet type fasteners out there.
You could be right. I'm going to be doing some more work on it this week and I'll report back.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I've never seen anything like what is pictured on a honda. Why do they need to be removed and are your sure there arent other fasteners/clips that would allow removal?
The plastic under trays and fender liners have always been black push clips on any honda I've worked on.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
2021-04-13 Update: I installed the CR1620 lithium battery in the key fob and pressed the button and saw the light indicating that it is working but when I tried to unlock the car with it nothing happened. I also tried to pop the trunk and it failed. When I put the key in the ignition it cranked same as before with flashing green key. Does the key need to be re-synchronized with the car? I worked fine 7 months ago until the battery finally died.

Thank you dpetro1 & 2013ACURAILX... this is just the kind of info I was looking for. A lot of the plastic is damaged because the struts/coils are all original with 170K, also motor mounts are shot too. The aluminum plate that gets removed to (change the oil / filter?) has the plastic push rivet / fasteners but other part of the plastic which was hanging down from bottoming out so many times either needs to be removed or replaced that is why I was asking. Right now the Key fob is totally dead and I'm about to go and pickup the CR1620 battery right now to see if it will start. Then move on to stuff like replacing the melted dip stick (I'm thinking someone pulled it out and left it on the engine? I don't see how it could melt inside the engine.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts