9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anyone know if the CAN Bus-based rain sensors in the 4th gen CR-V (and later Hondas) can run the wipers in the 9th gen Civic? Has anyone ever tried installing one? (I believe the Australian 9th gen Civic was available with a rain sensor)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Update: I was able to connect my CR-V sensor to my car, and the car seemed to recognize it. When I put the wiper stalk in the "intermittent" position, the wipers did not run intermittently, and moving the "delay wheel" caused them to wipe once and then rest (as they do on my dad's Accord, which has the rain sensor already). All good signs!

I unplugged my climate control unit (due to its easy access) and connected my sensor to the B-CAN lines on its connector. I grounded to my map lights and connected to 12V directly at the battery. In order for the sensor to connect, the car has to see it when it does its initial CAN check immediately after power is connected, so it needs a constant 12V source. I realize I could've grabbed that from the map lights as well, but I hadn't thought of that at the time.

I sprayed water on the windshield and unfortunately, the wipers did not respond. I have a few theories on that- I secured the sensor with painter's tape, so it didn't have the extra adhesive cushion it would normally have (it may not be capable of sensing that close). Additionally, the sensor connector has five pins, one of which I don't know the function of. It's possible that it's the IR LED driver, as I didn't see any IR coming from the sensor through my phone camera.

Another interesting mystery- turning the "delay wheel" to the second-lowest position doesn't cause the wipers to run and then rest like the rest of the positions do. I may need the stalk designed for rain sensing wipers.

I will keep this post updated and make a DIY once I have everything working.
20210320_133247.jpg 20210320_132557.jpg 20210320_132204.jpg 20210320_132202.png 20210320_133251.jpg

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I learned a bit more- the unknown pin appears to be the sunlight sensor output. My vehicle already has a sunlight sensor so I won't be wiring that.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update: Today I tried attaching the sensor to the windshield via a piece of Gorilla tape (close enough to the required adhesive) and the sensor seemed to work as designed! Maybe not as well as it would with the correct adhesive, but it triggered the wipers appropriately! All right, this should just be plug and play from here on- expect a DIY soon!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I was able to get the sensor wired in and it works, but with a few bugs. First of all, because my Civic has automatic headlights already, I already have a light sensor message on my CAN bus, and that caused some flickering issues (because the car was interpreting messages from two different sensors, and they occasionally disagreed). I unplugged the light sensor and used some Arduino jumpers to keep it powered so it can still output an analog reading to the climate control system (in other words, only the CAN bus lines on the sensor are unplugged). This added two new issues- the "auto light sensitivity" option on the iMID menu is gone, and running the wipers no longer turns the headlights on. I tapped the CAN bus and saw that the message IDs coming from the new sensor are similar to the ones from my factory sensor, but not exact. They end in 4 instead of 2.

The sensor I bought came from Lithuania, I am in the US, it's possible that these are regional differences. I have no idea why the car would understand the foreign light and rain sensor outputs but not a foreign auto light sensitivity message. I used CANHacker to send the car the rain sensor message with a 2 at the end of its ID instead of a 4, and the car responded as if the sensor was connected. I'll do some more research and testing and keep you posted on what I find out.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi, I have the 9th gen European model some this might work for me as expected. Which rain sensor should I buy? (Can you provide eBay url) And how do I connect the canbus? Where to? The only canbus I connected in my car is when I replace the manufacture head unit with a Chinese head unit.

thanks!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi, I have the 9th gen European model some this might work for me as expected. Which rain sensor should I buy? (Can you provide eBay url) And how do I connect the canbus? Where to? The only canbus I connected in my car is when I replace the manufacture head unit with a Chinese head unit.

thanks!
This one should work for the European model. It is a European sensor, so communication should not be a problem. honda hr-v 2015 windshield RAIN SENSOR 2401-t8kg-04s01 | eBay

As far as tapping the CAN bus goes, it depends on whether your vehicle has automatic headlights or not. If it doesn't, you can tap it at the radio- the CAN lines should be blue and pink and close together. If it does, you can either tap it at the radio, or if your light sensor has seven pins (as is the case for the 2013-2015 US models), you can tap it there. As mentioned above, having two light sensors on the CAN bus can cause issues, so be sure to unplug your existing sensor if you have one. If you have automatic climate control, the purple and red wires in the existing sensor will need to remain connected- I currently have Arduino jumpers in place for that but will replace with a proper adapter once I have it.

I am working on a DIY video that will provide a full walkthrough- I'll link it here when I'm done!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks for replying about my question :)
I don’t have automatic lights in my car so I’ll probably try to connect it to my radio.
Does this sensor also include automatic lights or only rain drop sensor?
What is automatic climate control? My air conditioner doesn’t fire automatically if that’s what it means.
And I’ll be also happy for a DIY video thanks!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for replying about my question :)
I don’t have automatic lights in my car so I’ll probably try to connect it to my radio.
Does this sensor also include automatic lights or only rain drop sensor?
What is automatic climate control? My air conditioner doesn’t fire automatically if that’s what it means.
And I’ll be also happy for a DIY video thanks!
That sensor should control automatic lights as well, mine does. Not sure if the wire for the "auto" position is present in the wiring harness that goes to your turn signal stalk. If it is, you might get auto headlights if you replace the stalk. I've never tried it- mine has auto headlights already.

Automatic climate control (2013-2015 US): https://cars.usnews.com/static/images/Auto/izmo/i4633/2014_honda_civic_sedan_tempcontrol.jpg

Automatic climate control (2012 US, hybrid only): https://cars.usnews.com/static/images/Auto/izmo/332441/2012_honda_civic_hybrid_tempcontrol.jpg

If it has a segmented display like that (and an "auto" button), it's automatic.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I do have auto in my air conditioner buttons.
What do you mean by “the existing sensor” am I replacing a sensor with the new one? Or just adding? And where should the new sensor should be placed?

thanks.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ah- so you have automatic climate control but no auto lights. That's super interesting, I've never seen that combo. So you have a light sensor already (the item you circled), but it's wired into the climate control system only. In your case, you're adding.

Put the rain sensor on the windshield in an area that's cleared by the wipers. My recommendation would be behind the rearview mirror. Here is where I have mine:

·
Registered
22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
So I ordered an original stalk from eBay of Honda CR-V. The connector looks the same as what I have. So I guess that if I do have a light sensor it might work out of the box when I’ll plug the new left signal stalk.
if it won’t I’ll just sell it on eBay ;)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I ordered an original stalk from eBay of Honda CR-V. The connector looks the same as what I have. So I guess that if I do have a light sensor it might work out of the box when I’ll plug the new left signal stalk.
if it won’t I’ll just sell it on eBay ;)
Sweet! You can check- open the steering column and look at the harness that plugs into that stalk. The "auto" wire is pink, at least, in US models. I highly doubt that would be different in Europe. Let me know. I know mine had the foglight wire already, even though it didn't come with foglights.

·
Registered
22 Posts
It appears that I do have the pink wire so hopefully it’s going to work :)
So on good daylight the lights will stay off and if for example I’ll enter a dark underground parking lot during daylight the lights will turn on automatically?

I also wonder where is the original location of the rain sensor in a newer Honda? Is it inside the black plastic that on the windshield? Did you try to open it to see if there is a preparation for the rain sensor?

thanks.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
View attachment 493616 It appears that I do have the pink wire so hopefully it’s going to work :)
So on good daylight the lights will stay off and if for example I’ll enter a dark underground parking lot during daylight the lights will turn on automatically?

I also wonder where is the original location of the rain sensor in a newer Honda? Is it inside the black plastic that on the windshield? Did you try to open it to see if there is a preparation for the rain sensor?

thanks.
That's the idea! DRLs in daylight and headlights at night!

I think that's right- the last time I was in a new Honda was my dad's Accord, and I never opened anything...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Did you try to see if there is a preparation for this in your civic?
Oh- the black cover on my car is for the LDW/FCW camera. There is no space for the rain sensor under it.

I used clear Gorilla tape to mount the sensor, which actually works pretty well.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts