9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have a 2012 Si that’s got the oil burning issue. Can I add 5 quarts of oil when I do the oil change? I change my oil every 5k but I don’t want to risk running it low. Would adding 5 quarts be harmful to the car?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I would not overfill the oil, not that much anyways. Check it regularly and top off when needed.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,245 Posts
You can do damage with too much oil, as well as too little oil. I second filling to correct height and checking at each fuel fill-up.

With today's uber-reliable cars, it's a good habit most of us don't do anymore.

·
Baned
8,538 Posts
How much oil does the Owner's Manual say to add? Are you changing the oil filter when you change your oil? If you are, that requires a slightly different amount of oil than if you aren't. I also recall reading in the Owner's Manual years ago for my 2012 Si that Honda recommends checking the oil level every time you get gas. It's a pain, but what else are you going to do for the 2 minutes it takes to fill your tank? Might as well be something useful like checking your oil!

·
Registered
2015 R18Z1 Civic Special Edition
7 Posts
Hey guys I have a 2012 Si that’s got the oil burning issue. Can I add 5 quarts of oil when I do the oil change? I change my oil every 5k but I don’t want to risk running it low. Would adding 5 quarts be harmful to the car?

Burning eh? I would try the liquimoly motor oil saver. It's part no. 2020, can be used every 15-20k.
Sounds like the rings are dirty in which a PEA based fuel system clean along with a detergent not solvent based crankcase cleaner might help. This all can be done at once with the Gumout Multi System.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts