9th Gen Civic Forum banner

Can I use steering wheel airbag from a different year civic in my car? (2012 lx sedan)

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  AndyMac204 
#1 ·
So I'm trying to get my newly acquired car on the road for myself to use and it involves me fixing the two airbags that went off, hole in the exhaust and a dead battery.

So far I've replaced the dash airbag that deployed and the procedure went surprisingly smooth. I'm left with the steering wheel airbag. I'm a cheap bastard, so when I'm seeing used airbags go for a minimum of 500$ US it makes me wonder WTF. I think part of the problem, is that legally, when replacing airbags, they need to be from the same model and year (I am 100 % assuming this). Judging from pictures I've seen online, it looks to me that the airbag is exactly the same from other civic trims and years.

So I'm not asking anyone to give me the legal rundown or consequences that they might think will happen. I'm an adult and the car will be for my use only. So will using an airbag from a different year and/or model work in regards to fitting in the steering wheel and turning off the airbag warning light/message? By the way, the passenger dash airbag is from a 2012 sedan lx and works as it should.

Thanks for any info. It's basically impossible to find any info on google on this topic because all the results are in an ocean of "TEKATA RECALL" bullshit.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.