9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys got a 2015 that has an amp and subs in the back that I think caused a problem maybe. I have one of those line level converters that I used by tapping into the back speakers for inputs into the amp. Anyways it worked great for 6 months but yesterday when the volume was up it made the whole car go crazy, all the dash lights went on and the trans was slipping, turn off the radio and it was OK. Happened twice and I decided I would just drive it to work with the radio off, well this morning it wouldn't start, so I put in a new battery. Still nothing, no lights or anything with the new battery, no break lights or horn, ....I mean DEAD. I checked the 100/70/30 fuse bars and both look fine. I am at a loss fellas, any ideas would be great. I feel like the line level converter sent power backwards to the radio or something and shorted something out or the battery was getting bad and the power draw from the amp did something. Im thinking its going to need a tow to the dealer?

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,202 Posts
Have you completely disconnected the aftermarket sound unit, or at least the subs and amp, and tried the car?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now that you mention that I did disconnect everything but the line level adapter that was tapped into the rear speakers was hooked up. Let me take that out of the equation and report back, Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This morning after letting it sit all night I opened the door and did have lights on the dash and dome lights. As soon as I hit the starter button, everything went black again.

·
Registered
396 Posts
You sure that new battery was charged? I'd charge it a few hours and measure the voltage on it, and keep measuring a few times after that. Another possibility is that the battery just got sucked dry from vampire current. My viper remote start system draws current while the car is off, because of the fuse it's tapped into is always powered, even if the car is off. If I leave the car sitting for a week or so in summer, or a couple days in winter, I often won't get a crank.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Traced down to bad Ground strap from battery to behind the headlight, didnt even look too bad. Added another ground and she started right up. Thanks for help

1 - 6 of 6 Posts